Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all thank you for having this wonderful forum. I believe I may need to replace the engine on the unit I just got.

My questions are these, one it has an HMSK80 on it currently with electric start. If I get another engine, does it have to be an HMSK or can it just be an HM80? OR are there other options of motors out there for me to look at? I don't have an abundance of cash laying around but if I can get this running like a top again without investing a ton of money, that would be appreciative.

I dismantled the blower down to just the motor. When I turn the blower over by turning the shaft, I can hear that it is an internal issue with the motor.

Backstory: I just got an old MTD 8/26 from my father-in-law. He purchased it new and kept it meticulous and had it professionally maintained until he gave it to me. He started it up this past year after having it maintained and it made a HORRIBLE racket after running it for a couple of minutes. He quickly turned it off and hadn't touched it since. He has since bought a new blower being that this one is 20 years old.

Thanks again in advance,

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You can put any motor on there as long as it has sufficient power. The two possible expected problems: the 4 mounting holes may not be the same, easily redrilled; the pulley and shaft diameter may not match, get a different pulley or a sleeve to compensate. The length of the engine shaft is also critical. The HMSK80 has a 1" diameter shaft so of course so does the pulley. If you want to go new, Harbor Freight has excellent engines. Some on here have gotten good buys over the internet.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You Can't use Just Put Any Engine on it. This is a Double Shaft Engine Special Configuration Made for MTDs. You could make a single shaft motor work with Modifications that won't be worth the time and effort. I have Some of those Engines Available, but don't know Your Location. Maybe someone close to your location has one.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I stand corrected. My tablet is having problems enlarging pictures. I did not see the two shafts. You need a two shaft engine, or remove the side case and put on a single shaft engine, or flip the gears and such underneath the snowblower around to the other side.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i have a few used mtd engines out back, but honestly it not even worth fixing it. you have to use a tecumseh engine as no other engine will fit these blowers. its only a cheap mtd and its worth like 175 running

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yes you can change the front engine cover and convert it to the twin pulley, but you’ll have to split the engine case but it’s doable.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The Original Engine Might be Repairable. If you Have Not Yet Done So, Carefully Examine the Block in and behind the Electric Starter Area. If there is no Visible Damage (Hole), It may Only Need a Connecting Rod. Then, Split the Case, and Evaluate the Damage. Rods can be bought on Ebay for around $20. The Only "Special" Tool You'll need is a Ring Compressor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got to tear apart the motor a little bit. Connecting rod broke and marred up the camshaft. I'll let you all know my progress but I got the hm80 engine I posted about previously. Gaskets and seals are to come within the next 1-1/2 weeks. This is the first small engine I'll be doing so I may be asking more questions as I work on it. Thanks again, Steve

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Hate to Say it, but....The Connecting Rods May be Sized Differently. Since you'll need to use the Crank and Cam from the Blown Engine, and put it in the Good Engine, You'll need to check to see if the Journal Sizes of both cranks are the same. My info has different part numbers for HM80(#32591C) vs HMSK80(#36897A) Connecting Rods. You Might Luck out and the HM80 Rod will Work, but don't count on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts