Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MTD 31BH763G401 and on the auger belt it keeps popping off. The second belt closes to the engine will not stay on the pulley. I tried a few thing but nothing seemd to be working. Both belts were new but now a little chewed up because they kept falling off. On the bottom of the belts I even added a small piece of metal extending it to keep the belt on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
Maybe the picture is a bit distorted; but it would appear that the Idler Pulley for the Drive Belt is out of alignment; how is its Bearing ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
What belt # do you got? How is the belt cover? If its worn where the belts hit it the belts will keep turning when they're not engaged. Also check for a loose motor, basket bolts or impeller bearing. Also check the pulleys for junk in the grooves or if they're bent anywhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe the picture is a bit distorted; but it would appear that the Idler Pulley for the Drive Belt is out of alignment; how is its Bearing ?
Yea that's an old picture I did fix the drive pull I had it backwards in back of the belt instead of behind it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What belt # do you got? How is the belt cover? If its worn where the belts hit it the belts will keep turning when they're not engaged. Also check for a loose motor, basket bolts or impeller bearing. Also check the pulleys for junk in the grooves or if they're bent anywhere.
MTD 954-0430B that's the number I got off partstree.com it has a diagram also there is a plastic cover that goes over the belts and there are groves in the cover where the belt is scrapping

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good that's the right belts. Do you have the cover on when the belt falls off? I would make sure the augers are not turning with the belts disengaged and the cover on. But if they are grooves cut into the plastic its time to change it. The cover works as a belt guide to hold the belts in the right spot so anywhere can cause problems.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I hate it when MTD belts fall off the pulley.

Usually, there is a retainer up top to keep the belt from jumping the engine pulley when the auger is disengaged.

I don’t see any such thing in the pictures, so I wonder if it is missing?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I hate it when MTD belts fall off the pulley.

Usually, there is a retainer up top to keep the belt from jumping the engine pulley when the auger is disengaged.

I don’t see any such thing in the pictures, so I wonder if it is missing?
The cover is the belt guide.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Do the belts jump off as soon as you start the machine, or does it happen when you push down on the handles to raise the bucket off the ground to turn or manoeuvre?

I had an old craftsman (Murray built) where the mounting brackets on the bucket assembly that holds the bucket to the tractor assembly rusted, and partially broke free, so when you pushed down on the handles, the bucket came up, but it also drooped a bit due to the mounting bracket being unable to support the weight and keep the bucket square.

The bucket drooped to screw up the pulley alignment enough to kick the auger belt off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do the belts jump off as soon as you start the machine, or does it happen when you push down on the handles to raise the bucket off the ground to turn or manoeuvre?

I had an old craftsman (Murray built) where the mounting brackets on the bucket assembly that holds the bucket to the tractor assembly rusted, and partially broke free, so when you pushed down on the handles, the bucket came up, but it also drooped a bit due to the mounting bracket being unable to support the weight and keep the bucket square.

The bucket drooped to screw up the pulley alignment enough to kick the auger belt off.
The belts seem to jump off as I engage the auger push the handle down lift it up push the handle down lift it up then I take the plastic cover off and check the belts and the second belt closest to the engine popped off

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The belts seem to jump off as I engage the auger push the handle down lift it up push the handle down lift it up then I take the plastic cover off and check the belts and the second belt closest to the engine popped off

Maybe get a helper to push down the back end to lift the front end, and see if you can notice any flexing or drooping of the bucket. If so, then remove the bucket from the tractor section, and see if your brackets need to be rewelded or replaced. Cracking of any kind where parts are bolted together will cause problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts