Snowblower Forum banner

MTD Auger Shaft Removal

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jerryvvv 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 29 inch MTD 10HP as you can see here.......

I disassembled my auger today to inspect things,

When I split "the clam" apart a bit of water leaked out the bottom, I think was because the plastic plug on the top to put grease in was missing,

Anyway, after inspecting all the bushings and gears, everything looks and feels pretty good to me, I originally intended on replacing the bushings, but they dont feel like they need it.

I think I will leave everything as is, with the exception of the 3 oil seals that i would like to replace,

I can replace the 2 oil seals on the sides easily, but how do i remove the one on the impeller shaft?

I have to seperate the shaft from the 12 inch auger on the end of the shaft, and i dont see any bolts whatsoever?

Does this shaft just hammer out?.....I would like to make sure before trying

Pic #1 is the seal i want to replace, Pic#2 is where i need to seperate the shaft from the auger

Pic #3 and #4 are the gears.....do they look fine to you guys?

Auto part Metal Wheel
Auto part Tongue-and-groove pliers Pliers
Hand Auto part Metal
Auto part Automotive engine part Tool accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
you need to take the impeller off to replace that seal. personally i probably wouldn't worry about it too much. it is not like the seals on this thing have to be super tight to keep fluids in or out. they are mainly just there to keep the grease in and water out kind of like the rubber boot on a ball joint or tie rod. they will not keep water out if left submerged in but should keep water out if you were to hose it down or have the snow on it melt.

#3 ·
you need to take the impeller off to replace that seal.
yes i realize that,

that is what i am asking, how to do that

I have to seperate the shaft from the 12 inch auger on the end of the shaft, and i dont see any bolts whatsoever?

Does this shaft just hammer out?.....I would like to make sure before trying

#6 ·
That impeller would be held on by roll pins,... at least everyone I ever seen, on all the makes I have are, unless someone put a bolt through it.
Going to take some heat, weasel ****, puller, hammer, etc., along with patience, to separate that impeller from its shaft if indeed that is rust welded on
I would also imagine by the looks of that impeller, it is rust welded onto the impeller shaft.

#7 ·
Thanks, I guess I will just leave it,

Seems like too much trouble,

I'm just going to clean everything up and put fresh grease in there, and put it back together, should be fine,

On a side note, it seems strange to me that there is no gasket between the two half's, just silicone,

Every other one I have taken apart has a gasket there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.