Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All, I thought I'd share some pics of a repair I did last week on my 1995 8/26. I learned that a common problem with these machines is that the transmission housing will crack over time right behind the flanges where the auger housing is bolted. Sure enough, mine was cracking and so I split the machine, welded them and then added a piece of 1.25" x 2.5" 14 gauge sheet behind each affected area. 14 is the same gauge as the original housing so I effectively doubled its thickness. Also since the area is in tension, all I had to do was tack the sides and bottom. Unfortunately I don't have any "after" shots of the repair as my time with the welder was limited and I had to button it up as soon as I was finished, but you'll get the idea from the "during" shots hopefully.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
I would imagine that will take care of the problem. Let us know how the repair holds up. Sounds like the sort of thing that could be done before the cracks show up for those who might have those models.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. It is something that can be done during a belt change. From what I've seen, there are a million of these large frame MTDs out there under half a dozen brand names.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts