Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm working on an older (1979?) Mastercraft branded snowblower made by MTD that a neighbour gave me. The biggest problem is a leaky carb, but I was looking it over today and took the cover off the bottom to deal with a stiff shifter. While I was looking around under there I noticed a white plastic roller that looks pretty chewed up. It is located next to one of the pulleys for the auger drive, and there is another one on the other side that appears to be in good shape. I've been looking online and can't figure out what it's called or how important it is, but I'm guessing it's there to keep the belt from slipping off the pulley. I've attached a couple pictures below and I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what it does and whether it's something I should be replacing.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
:welcome: to SBF streetcore

Brake was the first thing I thought too, except it looks round.

Looking at the second picture it looks like it's designed to spin as it's on a pin with a cotter pin holding it together. In that case it might be just to make sure that when there is slack in the belt it doesn't come off the pulley. Like a "finger" used up on the engine to make sure the belts don't jump off the engine pulleys. If the belt was getting stretched and wasn't adjusted properly in it's last life that roller might not have been able to get far enough away from the belt to keep from getting damaged because the belt was too loose.

What is the full model number of it ??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not too sure about the exact model number, but the previous owner gave me the original owner's manual pictured below. There's a few numbers printed on it, and a couple hand written ones as well.

The roller appears to be in a fixed position, so I don't think it's a brake. It's in a tight spot and was pretty hard to get a good look at it. While I had the machine tipped up on the auger housing I noticed there was oil all over the floor, so I tipped it back down again before I could really get a good look. Is it normal for oil to leak out of the motor when it's tipped forward like that?

Thanks again.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts