Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90's model Tecumseh that is leaking oil from the drain or vent tube, whatever the tube is by the Carb. It's somewhat milky at first and then it turns to a darker brown. It'll barely seap out at first and then once its ran for about a minute it starts coming out more. I just picked up the snowblower for free and that's the only thing wrong with it. Big fix? Easy fix? Maybe incorrect oil or too much oil? Was hoping someone with more experience could steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Check oil level.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
If the oil is overfilled it has to go.somewhere. Did you youtube this? Did you google it? I have never had one do this but i have never had an overfilled engine.
The milky stuff is simply from condensation. It'll clear out when the engine warms up. Usually caused by not running it to full operating temp.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Have you done a compression test on it? Does it start pretty easily? Might have a broken ring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried both and didnt see any results similar to the problem I have. It starts right up on the first pull actually, I haven't done a compression test because it runs great and I haven't felt like I've needed to. So draining the oil and refilling it would probably be the first thing to do?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I tried both and didnt see any results similar to the problem I have. It starts right up on the first pull actually, I haven't done a compression test because it runs great and I haven't felt like I've needed to. So draining the oil and refilling it would probably be the first thing to do?
See if its over filled 1st most likely not that

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
If it starts easily it more than likely has good compression so no broken ring so no blow by. Probably overfilled. Drain and refill w/proper amount. Let us know how it truns out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See if its over filled 1st most likely not that
most likely not what? Overfilled?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it starts easily it more than likely has good compression so no broken ring so no blow by. Probably overfilled. Drain and refill w/proper amount. Let us know how it truns out.
I will do that. That was one of my first thoughts but wasn't sure. So if its overfilled, the condensation will be whitish and overflow through the tube by the carburetor? I was hoping it wasn't a bad deal or something too big, cause it's a great running machine and would hate to mess with it

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
So draining the oil and refilling it would probably be the first thing to do?
It's pretty basic. Stop and take a breath and just check the oil level to see where you're at. IF, IF it's over full then draining and refilling would be a good idea. If the level is correct then depending on condition, dirty, dark, thin, smells of gas, ..... you might want to wait until you find out why it's leaking before you drain and refill. But you and us knowing it's over full or not is the first step.

Checking the level is way before playing what if on all the things it might be. How about a photo of this place it's leaking ?? Once you check the oil and it's ok then you might want to check the breather to see if maybe something is gummed up in there and it's not separating the oil vapor out of the crankcase vapors and is instead passing too much on to the carb.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Too much oil. Drain at least some of it. It should never read above the crosshatch marks. A little low is better than a little high.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there an easy way to drain a little bit of oil or am I better off to just drain it all and change the oil and get the correct amount of oil in there?

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Was it overfilled? No use speculating until that is determined.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Is there an easy way to drain a little bit of oil or am I better off to just drain it all and change the oil and get the correct amount of oil in there?
Ok. Somehow tip the machine away from the drain plug. Support the machine and then remove plug. Slowly (somehow) slowly tip it back.till it drains some out. I have never done this but I don't know how else to do it unless.you can suck.some out with a turkey baster or suction pump. Or you can just take the plug out, drain some then reinstall plug. It'll be messy but possible.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Too much oil. Drain at least some of it. It should never read above the crosshatch marks. A little low is better than a little high.

On tecs I disagree
i run mine at 3725 rpm 125 rpm above where everyone says the blow up
i run my tecs 1/8 of inch above full
never had 1 blow in 35 plus yrs
the hmsk100 i just got was set to 3725 ish today

1 - 20 of 37 Posts