1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an old Mastercraft snow blower (29 inch - 10.5 hp) made in 2001
(similar to this one in design )

There are 2 auger belts and as soon as I engage the auger the belts fly off their track.

When I look closely I can see the auger pulley's wobbling slightly.
At first I thought it was a bearing, so I replace that. During the bearing removal I damaged the threads on the augers shaft (costly mistake) so I replace that and repacked the gearbox with grease.

To make a long story short I have replace the augers bearing and shaft and it still throws off the belts. The slight wobble is still there too.
Also.. when I can get the auger to run for a few minutes I can see the auger itself moving up and down when looking at the snow blower from the front.

Could the pulley's be warped ? or is there something else that could be throwing off the belts?

Thanks for your time.

Drew

·
Registered
534 Posts
Make shire that all the pulleys are lined up almost perfectly straight. Do they jump off the engine pulley, or the impeller pulley. Are the two parts of the machine closed up completely. The wobble in the shaft might be the answer, or a clue. How about the bearing on the idler pulley.
Sid

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions Sid,

They fly off the impeller pulley.
If I pull the pull cord slowly I can see the belts wanting to come off and at high speeds they do.

I have replace the augers shaft, so that's new

Drew

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
As Sid mentioned make sure the bucket is mated good to the tractor and as for the auger wobbling, verify that your bushings at each end are good.
On these snowblower brand they might be plastic and someone else may chime in for additional instructions.

Good Luck

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
MTDs are known for developing stress cracks in the bucket where it bolts to the tractor. When you push down on the handle bars the cracks stretch out and the pulleys come out of align. Check that first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Sid mentioned make sure the bucket is mated good to the tractor and as for the auger wobbling, verify that your bushings at each end are good.
On these snowblower brand they might be plastic and someone else may chime in for additional instructions.

Good Luck
Normex, The bushings are plastic and looked a little warn. I will take a closer look and maybe just replace while i have things apart.

Thanks,

Drew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MTDs are known for developing stress cracks in the bucket where it bolts to the tractor. When you push down on the handle bars the cracks stretch out and the pulleys come out of align. Check that first.
Shryp, It is nice and tight and no visible cracks. Thanks for your suggestions.

I may try to post a video of the issue if I can not solve it in the coming days.

Drew

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I wouldn't sorry about a minor wobble, those are normal.

As for the stress cracks, check the engine too. The base plate where the engine bolts to the frame can crack as well and flex.

Did you replace the belts right before the issue started? Maybe you didn't put them on correctly?

Also, the auger pulley normally has a brake pad to hold the belt on the bottom. Around the engine there is usually a wire hanger type guard to hold the belt on those pulleys as well. Sometimes the MTD blowers use the belt cover as that guard so maybe try running it with the cover back on if everything else looks fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts