Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very common mtd 4.5HP snowblowet. This **** thing has me banging my head against the wall. I have thoroughly cleaned the entire float bowl and plastic emolsion tube, still no luck. When i hit the primer button all i get is a hiss of air coming from this little black hole on the side of the carb. Any help would be appreciated, as im tired of fixing my wall.

Yours truly, chimpboy

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
If you're sure you don't have any leaks in the primer line, check to see if you notice fine fuel bubbles around the float bowl gasket. If any air passes the rubber gasket, the primer bulb will only push air. I started a thread "leaking carb bowl gasket". Lots of good advice from members.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to the forum Chimpboy

The primer bulb pushes air to the carb through a vacuum hose that should be connected to a nipple on the carb.
The air pushes on the fuel in the carb and is supposed to force some raw fuel up into the throat of the carb.

Is the line connected to the nipple on the carb ??
Can you post a photo showing the "black hole" on the side of the carb you say air is coming out of ??

Leaking carb bowl gasket : http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblower-repairs-maintenance-forum/74234-leaking-carb-bowl-gasket.html

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
:welcome:
Gotta have an air leak somewhere. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Recently I worked on a Go-kart engine where the air filter housing screw went into a passage and if the screw wasn't in, it wouldn't prime.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Another thought - if somebody has ever used gas with etynol blend is will soften the hose/rubber tubes and parts and they will leak. try nipping the end off the primer line (carb side) and stick it back on (should be snug). Try to avoid the blended fuels if you can......

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts