Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding the wheel drive clutch on my MTD snowthrower (31BS644E129). Does anyone know where the clutch spring connects to in the transmission housing? See yellow in pic. I only found broken pieces inside the machine. One end goes to the pressure plate, but where in the housing does the free end connect? I can't find anything, anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
No reply yet, so I will make a wild guess. Sometimes the diagrams aren't accurate. So maybe the clutch retraction spring and the clutch engagement spring (part of the cable assembly) hook into the same hole in the plate, as in my 1995 MTD 8/24. That is, maybe the diagram shows the retraction spring hooking onto the wrong corner of the plate. Or maybe it shows the engagement spring on the wrong corner. I notice that your machine and mine have the same part number for the retraction spring, namely 9320264. P/N for the plate is the same too. Here is what my setup looks like.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
94 Posts
Regarding the wheel drive clutch on my MTD snowthrower (31BS644E129). Does anyone know where the clutch spring connects to in the transmission housing? See yellow in pic. I only found broken pieces inside the machine. One end goes to the pressure plate, but where in the housing does the free end connect? I can't find anything, anywhere.
Have you looked for where the retraction spring could possibly attach on the auger housing? And for where it could possibly attach inside the main housing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No reply yet, so I will make a wild guess. Sometimes the diagrams aren't accurate. So maybe the clutch retraction spring and the clutch engagement spring (part of the cable assembly) hook into the same hole in the plate, as in my 1995 MTD 8/24. That is, maybe the diagram shows the retraction spring hooking onto the wrong corner of the plate. Or maybe it shows the engagement spring on the wrong corner. I notice that your machine and mine have the same part number for the retraction spring, namely 9320264. P/N for the plate is the same too. Here is what my setup looks like.

View attachment 194896

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thank you very much. The little tab must be where the spring goes. I saw the small tabs on mine but they were so plugged up with rust and crud that I didn't notice the holes in them. I was looking for something like an eyelet attached straight forward on the blower backplate. (Yours is in much better condition than mine.) Again, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow, thank you very much. The little tab must be where the spring goes. I saw the small tabs on mine but they were so plugged up with rust and crud that I didn't notice the holes in them. I was looking for something like an eyelet attached straight forward on the blower backplate. (Yours is in much better condition than mine.) Again, thanks.
YW. So the diagram is wrong. The two opposing springs hook onto the same corner of the plate, whereas the diagram shows them hooking onto different corners.

I got lucky last year and got mine for $25, delivered. It needed some work and some parts though. Looking at the picture and hearing your story, I think I'd better put some oil on that rusty spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YW. So the diagram is wrong. The two opposing springs hook onto the same corner of the plate, whereas the diagram shows them hooking onto different corners.

I got lucky last year and got mine for $25, delivered. It needed some work and some parts though. Looking at the picture and hearing your story, I think I'd better put some oil on that rusty spring.
Hey - $25 - You made out like a bandit. Mine was a "gift" from a neighbor who never maintained anything. Could I ask you a question. How much forward slop should there be in the woodruff key and the slot, in the large drive gear, and how much wobble (side to side) is there? My gear is very loose.

·
Registered
94 Posts
... Could I ask you a question. How much forward slop should there be in the woodruff key and the slot, in the large drive gear, and how much wobble (side to side) is there? My gear is very loose.
Yeah, hmmm, I did take that apart last Summer to grease the axle, if I recall. But I don't remember much about it, so I guess the fit seemed okay. I'll probably open the belly some time before Winter, and I will take a look then.

Are you saying that the gear can wobble on the shaft (implying axial runout), as if the axle diameter is too small for the hole through the gear? Do the key or keyways look torn up at all? What about the gear and axle where they mate? If the setup doesn't seem right, I would want to compare the key to a new one. Maybe somebody lost the key and replaced it with a wrong part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, hmmm, I did take that apart last Summer to grease the axle, if I recall. But I don't remember much about it, so I guess the fit seemed okay. I'll probably open the belly some time before Winter, and I will take a look then.

Are you saying that the gear can wobble on the shaft (implying axial runout), as if the axle diameter is too small for the hole through the gear? Do the key or keyways look torn up at all? What about the gear and axle where they mate? If the setup doesn't seem right, I would want to compare the key to a new one. Maybe somebody lost the key and replaced it with a wrong part.
Yes, it acts as though half of the key is missing, lots of slop, plus it acts as though the axle dia is worn, or the gear id is worn. Lots of side to side slop. Right now I am replacing one of the sealed bearings on the small drive gear shaft. I guess next I will have to pull the main axle and see what is going on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can also see in my picture a spring roll pin passing through the axle on the inboard side of the big gear, presumably having some kind of retaining function.

I replaced the left-side ball bearing. It had lost its shields but seemed to still be working okay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can also see in my picture a spring roll pin passing through the axle on the inboard side of the big gear, presumably having some kind of retaining function.

I replaced the left-side ball bearing. It had lost its shields but seemed to still be working okay.
OK I can see the roll pin in there, but it is very badly rusted. This will not be fun. I bet it will b

I can see the roll pin, but it is badly rusted. This will not be fun. I betcha it will be another month before this thing is operational. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts