Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo....my girlfriends mom has an MTD 2-stage blower (Model #31BS63BD516) that has been sitting for several years with gas in it that was completely varnished (very yellow). I've drained it out through the bottom of the carb. I put some "fuel system" cleaner in the tank (because that's all I could get on new years day at the gas station and I really wanted to try and get it running for her) and let it sit for a couple of hours and then drained that out and put fresh gas in. I can get it to start if I spray starting fluid into the carb but it won't stay running. Also, I notice some oil coming out of the exhaust.

I've pulled the spark plug and cleaned it up with some sandpaper and it seems to be sparking well.

So, it would seem to me that its not getting adequate fuel since I can get it to start with starting fluid but it won't keep running. I would assume that the fuel system is all gunked up from the old gas that was in it.

What should I do here? I'm having trouble finding much info online about this model as it looks like it's a model that was specific to sell at Canadian Tire Company (she's canadian). Its a PowerMore engine.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
the carb needs a overhaul. there will be some blue smoke at start up. unless the rings are gone with the Schwinn. ALOHA from the paradise city.:smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out what the right P/N is for the carb. I have found lots of ones on Jack's Small engine and RepairClinic and even Amazon, but I'm not sure theyre the right ones. They list lots of different carbs.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there a serial number or model number on it some where??
On the carb or the snowblower? The Model # for the blower is in my original post. I haven't pulled the old carb yet. I even called the people at the MTD Parts website and they could only refer me to an authorized dealer in my area...ugh.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Im sure youtube has a video on cleaning a powermore carb. I've never replaced an entire carburetor because of gummed up old gas. Its absolutely possible to clean it throughly and reinstall without replacing any parts. Id atleast give it a shot.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
On the carb or the snowblower? The Model # for the blower is in my original post. I haven't pulled the old carb yet. I even called the people at the MTD Parts website and they could only refer me to an authorized dealer in my area...ugh.

Chris
there might be a number somewhere on the carb.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Usually a number on the flywheel cvr under the recoil. Depending on carb rebuild skillz, a rebuild kit is close to same price as new carb. Plus the new carb may have a adjustable needle.

-efisher-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pulled the carb and found a number on it of 170SA....looks like thats a Huayi carb and I found it on Amazon with gaskets, etc for $20.

Thanks for all your help! Now I just need to get it all put back together when it comes!!

Chris

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome to the SBF from Gettysburg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts