Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have an old tecumseh 2 stroke, check the exhaust baffle. I just got an old Snapper 3201s with a Tecumseh AH600-1639M engine and was going over a few things. This is what fell out when I took the muffler cover off....

sorry, can't post my image - no paperclip icon (do I have to have a certain number of posts?).

Anyway, three sides of the baffle had snapped off right along the 90 degree bends. Two were still being held by the screws but one of them was just floating around in there, causing trouble, and is bent up - obviously after hitting something moving. The top of the piston shows a bit of mangling, so it has done damage in there. The part number of the failed baffle is 390272, (unavailable).

Check yours carefully for cracks before it ruins your engine!

·
Registered
812 Posts
thanks for the notice, were you able to get the engine running again?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it seems to run fine. It was realllly loud without the baffle, so I drilled and bent a replacement from some sheet metal I had. Somewhat crude, but did the job. I should have taken a pic before I put it together, just to give the more skilled metal fabricators on here a good laugh if nothing else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a baffle break off on my old Ariens with Tecumseh. When it did it flopped around and rattled in there eventually blocking the exhaust partially (mostly) which caused the motor to run sluggish and stall. I ended up drilling a hole through the muffler and sticking bolt through it to keep the baffle from closing off the opening. Got me through the winter and I replaced the muffler the following spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts