Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am using an old Murray Snowthrower 20". Just to note : small engine repair is completely new to me. The snowblower hasn't worked since last winter, so I took the carb off and cleaned it best I could. I didn't want to buy something new if I could manage to eek out a few more years.
So I put everything back together and put a bit of gas in it. It ran, first pull! Lots of smoke out the exhaust. So I stopped it after about 30 seconds.
Next I noticed that one of the fuel lines was leaking, so drained the gas, cut the line and reattached it.
Ok, so here is the tricky part. I put some more gas in the tank and tried it. Wouldn't start at all. Back to the same situation I had last winter. Pulls and won't connect.
I looked at my gas can and realised I might not have used the oil + gas mixture. I don't know if the 30 seconds of using -non-oil mixed gas- affected it now.
I had done some research and people were saying to open up the spark plug and put some oil in there and let it sit for a few days and try again.
What are my options at this point? Any suggestions welcome.

·
Super Moderator
1,151 Posts
A 4-stroke will run fine on 2-stroke mix for a while... but pull the sparkplug and see. If it's oily or fouled clean or replace, drain and fill with the proper mix and try again.

If that doesn't do it your carb overhaul may need a do-over.

EDIT: Thought this was a 4-stroke, fuel recommendation revised.

·
2,394 Posts
welcome to the SBF
a 4 stroke will run fine on a 2 stroke mix it just acts like a top end lube additive, BUT NOT the other way pure gas in a 2 stroke means engine damage
sounds like you need to look deeper into the carb make sure the float is properly dropping

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would say for 30 seconds you are likely ok. I would check that you still have spark. If so, spray some starting fluid in the carb and see if it will run for a few seconds. If not, you probably have a fuel delivery problem.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Don't tell anyone, but I run some of my 4-stroke snowblowers on 2-cycle fuel mix. 🤪 It is not going to hurt anything.

Make sure you are getting spark at the sparkplug and you are getting fuel in the cylinder. Putting oil in the cylinder is not going to be a solution. A drop or 2 of gasoline maybe . . .

Starting fluid might be your next step.

Reactions: sirdaviid

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, thank you for all the replies. It is great that when panic sets in, there is somewhere a place to go with people who can help you!
First off, I believe it is a 2-stroke engine.
Here is the model number : Model 621500x4NA
Looking through the instructions, I didn't see 2 or 4 stroke. I know it is 2-stage.

Does that change anything from the replies I received? And to be clear, I put in straight gas into an engine that requires the mixture - my mistake, I know.
I will check the spark plug today and take apart the carb again and give it a clean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's a 2 stroke that he ran briefly on straight gas. 30 seconds or so shouldn't be too bad, much like when they first start up using Girl Scout Juice (starting fluid).

Not a great thing for extended times, but shouldn't have done any real damage.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Make sure you have absolutely fresh gas from a top tier station, drain the gas from the carb and tank in to a clear soda bottle, it should be clear, not golden, and not cloudy with no water in the bottom.

You may need a new carburetor. Carburetors are difficult to get really clean like new though you can get them operational if you know what you are doing.

Have a can of starting fluid to help. And a new spark plug.

Smoke is normal for a 2 cycle. If too much smoke, screw it, just run it until it blows up. 2 cycle snowblowers are throw aways and cheap on Craigslist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the quick replies. I am going to start over with it. Take off the carb (which is a pain because the alan head screws are tucked behind the carb and hard to get at). Click it all again, check the float, drain the lines. I always get Shell Gold for this and I have some 50:1 oil left over to test this out. The spark is new, but I will check that too just in case.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Would you have easier access if you replaced the Allen screws with hex head? Or #4 Phillips head?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JLawrence - not it is at a slight angle - that is the main issue. Getting at the screws means that I have to be extremely careful not to strip because of the angle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts