Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have to stop browsing the Facebook Marketplace .... Since I completed my last restore, I was looking for another possible project. Today I saw this nice 724 Ariens, 932 series, with no engine. Now normally, all my blowers I get for free, ... but I went and looked, no rust, everything looked great and in order, XTrac tires show no wear, and those alone are worth 40.00 all day. The guy wanted 45.00, I gave him 40.00.

I have a nice running 7HP Tecumseh just sitting in my shop, ready to go on that frame ... Nice summer project ... :)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and if someone with a 932 series like this 724 could tell me what the front and rear engine pulley sizes are, that would be bell appreciated.

My 7HP Tecumseh I intend to put on this frame is a 3/4 diameter drive output shaft, but I would need the OD diameter of the drive and the auger pulleys that sit on this engine drive shaft for its proper intended operating ratio.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL ... now I have to re-arrange things in my shop so I can park it in there .... this is definitely it for awhile now, or until I sell some stuff ..... :)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just realized something, was this unit a dual shaft engine? I did not even entertain that issue being that it is a newer unit.

If so no biggie, as I will pull the tires, and part it out if so.

Or ..... I have an older Ariens tractor unit,.... hmmm, maybe a bucket swap .... Lol ... I'll figure something ... as I sated, the XTrac alone are worth the 40.00 I paid.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
might be best to look up the model number to see if it requires a dual shaft engine but it looks like most of the machine that come with dual shaft engine. you can verify by tying the drive lever and turn the drive system belt and see which way it goes

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Can't you tell if it was a dual shaft engine by turning the drive pulley to the right, if it moves backward it was a dual shaft engine?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, spinning it right with a forward gear engaged moves it backwards ... oh well, if I dont recongiure it, I will just park it out of the way for now ... I dont need the tires right away, and it is a great condition, rust free machine ... maybe keep my eye out for another dual shaft engine. Shame how people can destroy an engine so quickly.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
too bad you didn't live closer. know someone who i am pretty sure has to 2 of those dual shaft engines sitting and i think they were fairly cheap. they are also very common on slightly older mtd's. you look for mtd's with with 3 nuts per side holding the bucket to the tractor. it only take removing 2 3/8" bolts from the belt cover to verify but every wheeled machine i have dealt with that had this tractor was dual shaft.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
As you say, the tires are are worth what you paid for the entire machine. It really does look to be in excellent condition.

These light duty 932 machines were not Ariens best. I agree with your plan to set it aside and see if a suitable engine comes along for a fair price. You could then flip it this winter for a decent profit.
Or keep the X tracs and part it out for pure profit or an interesting trade. I imagine there would be interest in a good condition auger housing, augers and gear box as well tractor components, as there are a lot of these machines out there.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Ziggy,

Yeah, it's in such great shape, I'm going to wax it and set it aside, ..... I'll keep my eye out for a dual shaft engine ..... I enjoy the hunt almost as much as restoring them .... this unit has no rust, well taken care of , that's what drew me to it .... I am in no rush .... 😊

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
if you part it out, that tall chute could be put to good use elsewhere too....

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya know, ... just sitting here eating dinner, and I'm thinking to myself ......the auger is fine, and really, as far as the drive working off the cam shaft, all I really need to do is somehow have the gear selector move to the other side of the drive disc ... there is a bolted connection in the gear selector rod, halfway point .... wonder if I could separate it there and mod a pie I in .... I really don't even care about reverse, really hardly ever use it.

Just thinking out loud .....

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
You are also forgetting that the cam spins 1/2 as fast as the crank. This is where you run into issues repowering these. You will likely only have 1 maybe 2 usable gears and the rest will be too fast. I know worked on a repowered machine last fall and almost ran myself over when testing it out. Was definitely not expecting r1 to be so fast and d2 was too fast to blow snow.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhhh .... did not think about that ... yeah, I'll wax it and park it out of the way for now ... I'll keep my eye out for an engine.....

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
ya most people overlook that detail. it is part of why i sold off the craftsman 5/23. i liked how solid it was and the way the handle/controls were but the engine just didn't have the power i wanted and it was a dual shaft machine. pretty sure mtd machines may be the only machines that can easily be converted to single shaft engine and be made to work as it should. the pulley on the newer mtd's drive plate is larger than on the old machines. you have to swap out the entire plate that the pulley bolts to but it is a pretty easy job. the parts needed to do the conversion on a mtd are also very common.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE ..... After cleaning and waxing it up, this machine is actually just about brand new ... I am going to install a Tecumseh 7HP single shaft that I have on it. This 932 series is a great simple drive system to perform it on. I did some figuring, and realize I can swing the outside shift lever rod bottom to the right of center instead of the left. Inside I moved the pull spring rod for the drive pulley to the other side of its bracket, which allows the friction disc to slide farther to the left for the forward speeds. I will be making a spacer plate of sorts for behind the friction disc, which will place it out farther for faster forward speed, as it wants to come off its forks if I allow it to go that far without one. I will be putting a shaft stop farther down the hex friction disc shaft, where I pulled the reverse roll pin stop point. I will be installing a very small pulley off the main engine shaft for the drive system to give it a slower revolution for speeds.

Anyways, Ill keep this post informed of my progress.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
So change the pulley size?
you can give it a try but most of those machines already come with pretty large pulleys if remember correctly. it is more so an issue with the reduction gear ratio.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@crazzy,

I'll let you know how I make out. Because of the simplicity of this transmission setup on this 932 series, and the way it is configured with so many adjustable points, I feel pretty confident I can make it work without any major modding work. What a nice machine to work on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts