Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Something tells me that machine was run without oil or they filled it with oil day once and never changing it and ran it until it ceased. The bucket and body look almost flawless and rust free. What a shame to burn up and engine so quickly.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@kemlyn,

I totally agree... I figured that, or they put in a straight W30 in the winter, big no, no..... Or some other wrong oil.

It does still amaze me what people do, or don't do ......

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Could someone who has an Ariens 724 such as this one let me know what the outside diameter of the auger main engine shaft 1/2 inch v-belt pulley is.

I will be getting the smallest I can for the drive 3/8 inch v-belt drive pulley, probably a 3/4" fixed bore by 1.75" O.D. pulley, to slow it down some, but would like to give it the proper size auger pulley it came with.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update ....

Dry run of the engine install on it ... flawless. Even ordered an orange mitten pull handle ...lol :)

I did have to go from the box muffler to the pipe out pancake, as the box exhaust literally sat behind, and blowing directly into the chute support post. no biggie.... just have to close up the heater box where the old exhaust came out, and trim it for the new exhaust pipe out .

The new 1.75 inch drive pulley and the auger pulley fit great in the alignment of pulleys, and the crankshaft was the proper length ... just have to get some new size belts, which I believe I already have hanging on the wall.

Ill keep you posted on the conversion from 2 shaft to one shaft as I go, and document it.

What a nice simple machine to work on.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update ......

I actually had the wrong photo for the pulleys posted ... here is the right one, lines up great.

Also got the new exhaust on, even the muffler is the same color paint as the wheels ... :)

I got to seal the old muffler hole on the heater box and install the new opening.... was going to paint it today, but started to rain ....

Now the engine comes back off, and I finalize my swapping the drive mechanism to the opposite side for proper gear shifter speeds as per the lever. And a final wax job along with some poly skids .... lol, I have a good collection of steel skids, some brand new, and some like the ones off this machine like brand new. After you go Poly, you never want steel again.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I finally had a chance to get back at this 724 model 932 series, swapping from a 2 shaft to single shaft engine.
I swapped the lever mirror image to operate the shifter in the gear positions properly, which required placing a spacer behind the friction disc in order to build it out, so it can throw farther without coming off the friction disc slide forks. I also removed the stop roll pin in the friction axle, meant to prevent the slide fork from coming apart, with a shaft collar to stop it now.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update .....

Finished it today .... runs great .... as you can see, I put a spacer to push out the friction disc, so it would not fall off its forks ,,, also installed a collar on the friction octagon slide shaft for a stop. Because of the drive plate spring being so close, even after putting it on the other side of its bracket, I left 5 forward gear speeds and 2 reverse, locking out the gear one forward, as it would have been in the center of the drive plate. No issue at all, as 5 speeds forward is plenty,... goes from crawl to walking fast in forward, as the 1 3/4 pulley worked great. You can also note that I mirror imaged the drive lower shaft bracket from the left to the right, thus compensating for the original reverse action of the cam pulley, which is now run off the single crank shaft.

The only thing I have to do is make a belt cover.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Ingenious re- engineering, very nice work.

Clean little machine should bring a decent price this fall/winter.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
And it works? Fine? You are a heck of a good mechanic. Now come to NJ to show me how to flip mine. Please.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Yeah, .... Before I started, I had a plan in my head laid out, and just followed through on it.

I wanted something strong and lightweight for the friction disc spacer, so I used a nice thick type of poly from an old cutting board, capped with a piece of aluminum stock, both cut and drilled with the dimensions of the friction wheel.I

Found the small 1 3/4 inch pulley, for the 3/4 crankshaft at Tractor Supply, which worked flawless in corresponding the proper speed ratio from moving off the cam over to the crank.

I am definitely keeping this unit at least this winter, as I have to put it through it's paces.

It was fortunate that someone gave me the 7HP Tecumseh last year .... I knew I could make it work on that unit .... Very happy with how it came out.

Now I need a lot of snow this winter, as I have a lot of new toys to play with ...... 😊😀😁

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Making the belt cover ....

I did not have a large enough piece of stock, so I did have some larger joist hangers, good material, and tweaked them .... Now I will fill in the side and add a front piece .... prime and paint it black to match the engine, and it will be better than a new one ..... :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Please update us on how well that pancake muffler works in the snow. I have found they tend to be very noisy on some of my summertime machines. Very little noise reduction on the 8hp Briggs in my Troy Bilt chipper. Hearing protectors a must.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I always wear ear protection, and recommend that everyone wear it. You only get one pair of ears.

It is the same as all my other equipment. Actually sounds quieter to me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Making the belt cover ....

I did not have a large enough piece of stock, so I did have some larger joist hangers, good material, and tweaked them .... Now I will fill in the side and add a front piece .... prime and paint it black to match the engine, and it will be better than a new one ..... :)

View attachment 179678
View attachment 179679
Very interesting! I'm anxious to see the result! (y)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have not been working on it lately, a bit busy on other things, but did manage to complete the sides of the belt cover, as well as getting some upper retaining bolts. Now just have to find time to fashion a front cover, then off to paint.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I guess now I have to order the clean out tool, since I already have the bracket on the bucket .... :)

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Cover came out great!
Looks like not only do you have back up snow blowers but back up wheel barrows as well:)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts