Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone want to post a pic of my answer to raising and lowering my Frankenstein/honda blower to use on gravel verses pavement? just a quick fix and untested yet.. but looks possibly will work. I got pics on my phone and can send to your phone or email? thanks ( I know I'm so far behind times)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hello Geno and all,

Nicely done and simple design. I can see where my idea for the trailer tongue jacks with the round snow plow gauge feet would not fit very well for the snow caster.

With my snow blower set up; I am happy to report the Gates Series 1 A116 V belt survived the first use of the John Deere with the 47 inch snow caster.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Geno and all,

Nicely done and simple design. I can see where my idea for the trailer tongue jacks with the round snow plow gauge feet would not fit very well for the snow caster.

With my snow blower set up; I am happy to report the Gates Series 1 A116 V belt survived the first use of the John Deere with the 47 inch snow caster.
Glad your v-belt is good to go. I am not sure on your idea?.. I opt for a quick set-up for little time I had to work on it. I hit it just right as we had couple warm days now cold again. Time will tell if it works? I did use stainless steel bolt as axles and solid fiber wheels with no bearings so rust isn't an issue. Not sure I like the wheels but for now it will have to do. I was going to go with a plate on each side with two shoes m
ounted at the correct angle pending on height set.. but too much to do for now.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone on the compliments.. not sure it will work but should at the very least work rest of this winter (only used once so far)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hello Geno,

When last chatted I mentioned that perhaps one or two small trailer tongue jacks with a removable landing pad and replacing the landing pad with one of the heavy snow plow disc feet for truck plows as a possibility to make the clearing go faster.

I thought it might be a good idea to raise and lower the cutting height as you could raise the snow blower slowly in small increments to get the clearing you want in the sidewalk or parking lot etc.

I hope we see the Frankenstein working soon when you have finished filming it provided of course you have good snow weather to put it to work.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is a cool idea. I considered it but was thinking might be out too far on sides- but maybe not too? good concept for sure. I think they got pretty small ones. electric one too wood be neat. getting them equal to avoid uneven wear is something of concern. guess each side would be equal amount of turns maybe. I tried to keep as close to bucket as could. If I were to go with your idea I could also add few inch wings on side so jacks weren't knocking down the sides as you go.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Geno, very cool, thanks for sharing! And thank you Scot for helping to post them.

For someone with less access to fabrication equipment, I wonder if lawn mower wheel-height adjustment mechanisms could help accomplish the same sort of thing. The ones on my mower work on this type of principle. Pull a lever to the side, and pivot it forward/back to change the wheel height.

If you could rescue a mower from the curb, you might have a bunch of the parts required, even some wheels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
How did the wheels do in the snow? Much build-up on them or between them and the bucket? I don't really need the adjustability, but I would like to someday fit some wheels before I run out of my DIY plastic skids.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I suppose, with long enough skids (to give them enough stability, so they don't try to rotate), you could give them a center pivot. Using something like Geno's adjustable setup, mounting them where the wheels go, but riding on long skids.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all worked well. I raised them at my place (gravel) and lowered for the church (pavement). no buildup was noticed. what was there was brushed off easy when put away. I do have a real short clip of it in action on my grandsons phone. He took it and sent to my e-mail. the wind was blowing it back at me pretty good as it was very 'fluffy' (that is a official term so don't laugh!)... Scot... want to post it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts