Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fixed my frend's mother's Toro 8/26 Powershift. It had some missing bolts and I'm stil trying to fix the starter. I decided to try it to blow a path to my shed. I was surprised it sucked. First, it kept stalling and the chute kept clogging until I adjusted it. And that **** "chute safety guard" just ensured my entire arm had to be in there to unclog it. I finally got things going and all it would do is rise up over the snow, even when I "powershifted" the wheels back. I even tried it on a regular snowbank. I quickly tired of it and fixed the pull start on my killer Ariens and it BLASTED through no problem. Another score for the Ariens!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
seems like the toro has more problems that need attention than what you addressed. not that i think the toro is better than the ariens or the ariens is better than the toro but i know they will throw snow better than what that 826 is doing

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
seems like the toro has more problems that need attention than what you addressed. not that i think the toro is better than the ariens or the ariens is better than the toro but i know they will throw snow better than what that 826 is doing
I agree William. There's more here than meets the eye.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe but not much. The auger got full of snow when it stalled. I would shut it off, clear the chute down to the impeller, and fire it up but it never cleared out until I pulled it backwards, shook the snow out of the auger, cleared the chute and impeller and ran the engine at full speed before engaging again.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Maybe but not much. The auger got full of snow when it stalled. I would shut it off, clear the chute down to the impeller, and fire it up but it never cleared out until I pulled it backwards, shook the snow out of the auger, cleared the chute and impeller and ran the engine at full speed before engaging again.
There's something wrong or bass ackwards with the old girl. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything against your Ariens or that one is better then the other. They're both good products but the Toro has something going on besides "it just won't blow snow". There has to be a reason. Belts, augers, impeller, or something. It sounds as if the front augers aren't even turning and it's just forcing a small amount of snow into the impeller and it's not enough to make it throw it out. That'd be my guess. Check to see if the augers are even turning.:confused:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's all turning and worked OK once I got things moving. I did check to make sure the augers were working, it just clogged up way to easy. I think part is the small exit hole. 3 times it made a tube of snow in the chute a foot long. Once I cleared everything it was better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It sounds like the auger drive is slipping when you hit snow. I'd pull the drive cover and run it in to some snow then watch for it to slip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts