Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the trigger and got me an Ariens Platinum 24 SHO. It's suppose to be a nasty winter this year. So I decided to hit it head on. So this is my first snowblower. Any tips or advice for a newbie?

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Hello and welcome to SBF.Congratulations on the new machine.
Read your owners manual. Did you purchase online or from a dealer or big box store?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just a reminder that if the snowblower does clog and stop, use the provided tool to clean out the chute. Do not use your hands to clear a clog. The belts still have tension on them (kinetic energy) and the impeller will move, cutting your fingers. Use the clog tool or a broomstick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome to SBF.Congratulations on the new machine.
Read your owners manual. Did you purchase online or from a dealer or big box store?
Thanks, I bought it through snowblowersdirect.com. I am planning on reading the owners manual along with browsing through the service manual.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a reminder that if the snowblower does clog and stop, use the provided tool to clean out the chute. Do not use your hands to clear a clog. The belts still have tension on them (kinetic energy) and the impeller will move, cutting your fingers. Use the clog tool or a broomstick.
Figured that much. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
The Ariens Platinum 24 SHO is an excellent choice.

Make sure your fuel is fresh and add a stabilizer such as Sta-Bil or Star Tron. Better yet, use ethanol-free fuel: https://www.pure-gas.org
Using good fuel goes a long way toward reliable future starting and performance.

At the end of the season, shut off your fuel line and let the engine die out. Then drain the remaining fuel from the carb bowl (there should be a drain screw on the outside edge of the carb bowl).

Remove your tires and apply a good coating of anti-seize lubricant to the axle shaft. I'd do that now and before the start of each snow season.

Assuming you're on concrete or asphalt, I recommend polyethylene skid shoes over the standard metal shoes for improved maneuverability.

As others said, follow the maintenance and safety measures in the Operator's Manual to the letter and you should enjoy many years of service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Ariens Platinum 24 SHO is an excellent choice.

Make sure your fuel is fresh and add a stabilizer such as Sta-Bil or Star Tron. Better yet, use ethanol-free fuel: https://www.pure-gas.org
Using good fuel goes a long way toward reliable future starting and performance.

At the end of the season, shut off your fuel line and let the engine die out. Then drain the remaining fuel from the carb bowl (there should be a drain screw on the outside edge of the carb bowl).

Remove your tires and apply a good coating of anti-seize lubricant to the axle shaft. I'd do that now and before the start of each snow season.

Assuming you're on concrete or asphalt, I recommend polyethylene skid shoes over the standard metal shoes for improved maneuverability.

As others said, follow the maintenance and safety measures in the Operator's Manual to the letter and you should enjoy many years of service.
Thanks for the excellent advise. I always use non-ethenol fuel and drain out all the full in my other small engines and use a fuel stabilizer on my final run out. The anti-seize is a good idea, I'll have to include that in my maintenance schedule. 3/5s of my drive is gravel so I've been looking at the Armour Skids or the Ariens poly-skids.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I went with the poly Ariens skids. One negitive factor is the steel skids get scraped and then they rust. If they sit on a garage floor, they leave rust marks. For me, the poly skids work (much) better.

Congrats on your new blower, I have a 24" Deluxe, Platinum and went with the 24" to save space in the garage. Easier to maneuver as well. Good choice, your going to be well pleased!

Side note;
I noticed that there are some aftermarket poly skids being offered on Amazon. Cheaper than Ariens and rated 5 stars. May try a pair at my next replacment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JF1V19/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2xrIDb019M1SJ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with the poly Ariens skids. One negitive factor is the steel skids get scraped and then they rust. If they sit on a garage floor, they leave rust marks. For me, the poly skids work (much) better.

Congrats on your new blower, I have a 24" Deluxe, Platinum and went with the 24" to save space in the garage. Easier to maneuver as well. Good choice, your going to be well pleased!

Side note;
I noticed that there are some aftermarket poly skids being offered on Amazon. Cheaper than Ariens and rated 5 stars. May try a pair at my next replacment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JF1V19/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2xrIDb019M1SJ
That's the same reason I went with the 24". I've seen the Amazon and Ebay poly-skids and was curious about them. May have to give them a try.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I tried the poly Skids as well, and will be using them on any future replacements on any of my machines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you haven't bought one yet, take a look at the Toro Snowmaster. It is way faster than other blowers for 90% of snow, and about the same for the end of driveway stuff. I have the 724QXE and it is plenty powerful for $700, but the 824 has even more power for more money (it fluctuates and looks like it is current ~$900).

It isn't a traditional two stage, but is can handle the same amount of snow, in less time. It is easier to control and works faster.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you haven't bought one yet, take a look at the Toro Snowmaster. It is way faster than other blowers for 90% of snow, and about the same for the end of driveway stuff. I have the 724QXE and it is plenty powerful for $700, but the 824 has even more power for more money (it fluctuates and looks like it is current ~$900).

It isn't a traditional two stage, but is can handle the same amount of snow, in less time. It is easier to control and works faster.

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at a couple Toros. I ended up getting an Ariens Platinum 24 SHO last week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts