Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this during the summer.. so far I only had a chance to use it in an inch of wet snow.... Threw ten to fifteen feet.
I had a huge gap.. the impeller housing was close to thirteen inches rather than 12.. It was round though.. pretty much within a mm.
It is easier to just remove the chute assembly.. rather than try to work through a hole.
The upper chute half will need to be trimmed where I shaded in green.. the green is what has been trimmed away.
Buy some small C clamps to hold your rubber pieces in place while drilling..and doing your testing for drag.
I used a short piece of lumber to jam the impeller to the the auger shaft.. that wedged up to an auger.. it wasn't very long...few inches .If you have some scrap two by four laying around just grab a few short pieces.. one of em will be the right length.
I used the side wall from an old tire.. I used a steak knife to cut the pieces.. then a utility knife for trimming after.
I did not wedge my pieces tight. I clamped on a piece to just barely touch the housing..
I took the auger cable and pulled it up on the big plastic wing nut that locks the bars.. that was enough to release the impeller brake.. now I had easy spinning.
This is a Craftsman blower 24 inch ..The Cub Cadet Troybilt and other MTD blowers will be the same ..Just remove the chute out of the way and this job is pretty easy

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks good. I took the easy way out and bought the impeller kit. I have a 24" Troy-Bilt with the 179cc engine. It made a huge difference in the ability to throw the snow, even wet snow and the EOD mess.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks good. I took the easy way out and bought the impeller kit. I have a 24" Troy-Bilt with the 179cc engine. It made a huge difference in the ability to throw the snow, even wet snow and the EOD mess.
I added washers under the bolts and trimmed the inside edge of the rubber but can't find those pictures..
I had an old tire laying around so it wasnt to bad..It was kind of rough cutting though at thickest part of sidewall.
Figured by the time I found what I needed online I could already have em cut
Did you have as huge as gaps as mine did?...nine sixteenths to five eights inch gaps on mine

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another angle.. shows what a huge difference it is by just removing the four bolts for the chute.. all kinds of room

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i got to do the same to my machine. i tried doing the impeller mod the other day but that plastic piece you trimmed destroyed the peices i used for the impeller mod. got to take it all apart just to trim that silly piece

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
i have 2 honda hs 80's. one with kit , one without. used both today on about3-4 inchesofslush.

one without threw theslush about a foot.

one with kit threw it about 15 feet. no clogs. wellworth the time.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got to do the same to my machine. i tried doing the impeller mod the other day but that plastic piece you trimmed destroyed the peices i used for the impeller mod. got to take it all apart just to trim that silly piece
Must have not been belted rubber you used..you should be worried about tearing the chute up and not the paddles...You want heavy rubber so it doesn't bend over on load..I put the thicker part of my cuts to the housing side.
Remove spark plug wire.
The easiest way is to take all chute pieces off.
Cut a paddle. clamp it where it needs to go with a small c clamp or small vice grips.
Rotate the impeller past the "big hole".
Hold the upper chute piece where it goes.. reach in and feel where it overlaps... Trim off chute with a utility knife.. I used a knife to shave off the overlapping part rather than cut it.. kind of have to cut corners though.... Shave off eight inch or so and hold it on there and see what you have.. then turn the impeller back to it with your clamped on piece and see if it clears the chute piece
Naturally we can not have the paddles jammed tight to the housing for they won't have any tension on them in the outlet area of the housing..then when it rotates to the housing and edge of chute it's going to hit it.

Since you already have holes drilled in the impeller I would do one paddle at a time and use old piece of existing paddle for template

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
the stuff i used was strong enough to not bend much but you could just hear it hitting off the piece of plastic until pieces started coming out of the shoot. the large gap on these machines seem like they were needed to clear the silly piece of plastic you trimmed. all my pieces broke off flush with the impeller edge.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found an old piece from my 'trim to width'.. that a 10 mm wrench ..so I am about a half in plus thick there where it sticks over the paddle.. no way it can break.. and flex would bring the leading edge tighter to the housing.
The sidewall of the old tire got much thicker up the side wall before it got closer to the tread.
Old tire sidewall worked perfect for me... Granted all old tires won't be the same.. but one with a decent sidewall shouldnt be to hard to find

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i got some mudflap somewhere. i just couldn't find it when i was trying to do the mod. i have a feeling it in under the snow in the back of my truck and hopefully i should be able to find it tomorrow with all the much warmer weather we got tonight.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have 2 honda hs 80's. one with kit , one without. used both today on about3-4 inchesofslush.

one without threw theslush about a foot.

one with kit threw it about 15 feet. no clogs. wellworth the time.
This is all I have blown this year..I got about 10 to 15 feet of throw using sixth speed...about an inch of snow there..Was able to get out there before it melted away

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the stuff i used was strong enough to not bend much but you could just hear it hitting off the piece of plastic until pieces started coming out of the shoot. the large gap on these machines seem like they were needed to clear the silly piece of plastic you trimmed. all my pieces broke off flush with the impeller edge.
It's real easy to trim once you unbolt it..you only have to trim as wide as your rubber paddles are as well..so it's not much work really..hard work is re making those paddles..I feel for you there.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i finally got this done on my snowblower. had to get new bolts for the plastic piece that bolts to the impeller housing. i got a couple different types of rubber on the impellers to see what lasts. had to remove quite a bit of plastic but it doesn't sound like the rubber is hitting anything this time but i did initial break in with the plastic piece off. so far it throws a lot better which is both good and bad lol. i can throw over my vehicles but it is landing about 40-50' away on the neighbors lawn getting close to their driveway lol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i finally got this done on my snowblower. had to get new bolts for the plastic piece that bolts to the impeller housing. i got a couple different types of rubber on the impellers to see what lasts. had to remove quite a bit of plastic but it doesn't sound like the rubber is hitting anything this time but i did initial break in with the plastic piece off. so far it throws a lot better which is both good and bad lol. i can throw over my vehicles but it is landing about 40-50' away on the neighbors lawn getting close to their driveway lol.
Bolts flat instead of rounded?
I had thought about those but just notched the rubber a little..I remember using those flat head carriage bolts years ago for material handling ..didn't have any corrosion protection and we had to use anti seize on em.
Snowing here now So I be will be able to blow snow later

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i had to replace the carriage bolts that hold the plastic piece to the impeller housing. most were rusty and snapped when i went to take it off. probably wouldn't have hurt to toss some anti seize on them but doubt i will have it off again any time soon unless i am replacing the plastic piece at will point i will just another $2 on new hardware.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i had to replace the carriage bolts that hold the plastic piece to the impeller housing. most were rusty and snapped when i went to take it off. probably wouldn't have hurt to toss some anti seize on them but doubt i will have it off again any time soon unless i am replacing the plastic piece at will point i will just another $2 on new hardware.
Good thing they twisted off rather than round out the square hole..I was hoping the bolts were decent..but it looks they saved a little money there too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wait a minute.....You can buy an impeller kit? Google here I come.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep. The "kits" offer the convenience of having precut belting / rubber material. Some kits include hardware as well.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
1 of the holes did round out but the nut was far enough off by that point that i was able to just cut the bolt. it was part of the reason i used a mix of normal and nylon nuts. normal nut to hold things together and nylon nut behind that to make sure the nut can't back off. rest pretty much snapped off but i was using a impact gun. they were either coming out, snapping or rounding the hole. it is not like they are very big bolts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts