Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's a good story for those of you who have been left stranded due to a part failure on your snowblower at one point in time. (Simplicity 860 snowblower Mfg 1694241)

Another 6 inches of heavy snow arrived today and on the third pass...the auger quits....lever stays down and doesn't pop back up.

Drive it to the garage to take a look and get it back out.

More or less from the base of the snowblower attached to the auger clutch is a spring with a threaded rod that is about 4" or so long...which screws into an aluminum turnbuckle (tension) and a single 10-24 hex nut (normal...righty tighty...etc) and from the lever at the handle bar...another threaded rod runs down and screws into the turnbuckle with a single hex nut to keep it snug....

Well, the aluminum turnbuckle stripped out on top and the nut vibrated loose and lost in the snow....so my thought until I could pick up a new turnbuckle was to use 2 L brackets to make a "C" and secure with 2 nuts on top and bottom of each rod.

All a great plan until I come to find out that the rod coming from the lever on the handlebars is reverse threaded (LH or Lefty tighty)

Never ran into one of those before. Local hardware store doesn't have one that small and fastenal is out of stock.

Guess I'll make a few calls in the morning to see if I can find one. Otherwise the nearest dealer is about 60 miles away. I couldn't believe how much they want for 2 basic 10-24 LH thread hex nuts through Simplicity Parts online...just a tad over 8 bucks!!!

Any of you seasoned snowblower vets run into any other models/brands that use reverse thread 10-24 hex nuts?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

P.S....finished the driveway shoveling....I HATE shoveling wet/heavy snow

Time for an IPA:)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Wouldn't a turnbuckle have to have a RH and a LH thread to work? Otherwise the barrel would just travel back and forth and not get any longer or shorter overall.
That said, I don't know where to find a fine threaded left hand nut that small.
These guys only have them down to a 1/4 inch also.
Edit. Doh! 10/24 is coarse, not fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response guys. I ended up calling a dozen places this morning looking for the hex nut, with no such luck.

I toyed with the idea of taking an entire screen door turnbuckle system and modifying it, but figured for the time/money I wasn't going to head down that road. I did check out the turnbuckles for screen doors, and both sides are normal thread.

Ended up just making a drive with the wife & kids this morning to the dealer and go out for lunch. Picked up the new turnbuckle and the snowblower works without the nut in the interim.

Definately will probably put in a parts order through a fastenal for a few extra of those reverse thread nuts....and probably an extra turnbuckle for a "just in case moment"

It was worth the drive regardless.....got a chance to check out the brand new Simplicity machines...and they are also a bobcat dealer.....boy would it be fun to own one of those!

Thanks again,

Steve

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
How much time are you willing to waste trying to save a couple bucks?

·
Premium Member
880 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have some of my guys here at work that deal with fasteners..etc checking with a few of their local suppliers they use on one off stuff.

Fastenal was a strike out also.

Ideally, I'd like to maybe get my hands on 4 or 5 of them just to have a few "spares" sitting with the other "extra" parts I normally keep on hand for it.

I agree with the Time/Value/Money comment and other than making a few quick calls haven't really put in a lot of time. However, for the price of 4-6 of them through Simplicity (not including the shipping), I could purchase 100 of them off Ebay shipped....but then...why does a guy really need a 100 of those. :).

I'll get the cinch nut located this week, however a very oddball part none the less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts