Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a tecumseh snow king mtd 5/25 2 stage snow blower It will not start only runs on starting fluid It worked for a little bit when I got it out this season but the littlest amount of snow boged it down and it kept shutting off even when it was just sitting there running i cleaned the carb replaced the spark plug checked the fuel lines i replaced them cause they were old and I made sure the safety key was in The whole way and I put new fuel In it and it still will only run on starting fluid and I don’t know what to do cause I feel like I tried everything thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Had the same thing with a Craftsman 9hp yesterday, took the carb off cleaned it and the low and high speed jets. Put it back on and the blower fired right up. I am betting the carb is dirty inside.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don’t understand tho cause I cleaned the whole carb
It's also possible you have a vacuum leak. I had one blower that I cleaned the carb super well and it did not run right until I pulled all the main tube and jets out for a real cleaning and then it ran pretty good after that. Some of those little holes get so plugged up it's almost unbelievable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's also possible you have a vacuum leak. I had one blower that I cleaned the carb super well and it did not run right until I pulled all the main tube and jets out for a real cleaning and then it ran pretty good after that. Some of those little holes get so plugged up it's almost unbelievable.
Ok I’ll try that thanks

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Tell us how you cleaned it?

Run carb cleaner spray in the carb?

Soak it in a carb soaking specific solution?

Did you use tip cleaners?

Remove the Welch plug?

Did you put the carb in an ultrasonic cleaner?

How clean is clean?

How clean do you want it to be?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
More than likely has Low Compression. If you don't have the tools to diagnose, at least pull the breather and check valve lash...... The spex are .008 - .012 for Intake & Exhaust. I bet you'll find your problem there.

GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
176 Posts
More than likely has Low Compression. If you don't have the tools to diagnose, at least pull the breather and check valve lash...... The spex are .008 - .012 for Intake & Exhaust. I bet you'll find your problem there.

GLuck, Jay
Let me ask you this question in the valve lash, on a SBC with aluminum heads the spec says when setting cold to subtract .004 to .006, does that same thing apply to these small aluminum heads and block also? as for the .008 .012

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

GLuck, Jay
ok I’ll check the compression and the specs thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me ask you this question in the valve lash, on a SBC with aluminum heads the spec says when setting cold to subtract .004 to .006, does that same thing apply to these small aluminum heads and block also? as for the .008 .012
Also I did what u said and it still didn’t work but thanks

·
Registered
630 Posts
but the thing is it only runs on Starting fluid
Don't do the starting fluid to many times it has a habit of leaving the bore bone dry ..you can lock it up with that stuff.
If you have used starting fluid several times I would put a little oil down the spark plug hole before going any further.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
630 Posts
Does the machine run better on partial choke.
Does the machine do good until a heavy load then quits..sometimes the fuel supply isnt going to the carb fast enough and the machine will temporarily run out of fuel...tell tale sign. is they work better with a full tank...another sign is they will start right back up after about 30 seconds of sitting as if nothing happened.
A partially clogged carb usually works better with partial choke.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Also I did what u said and it still didn’t work but thanks
Intake valve usually stays within spec. While the exhaust drops to zero (0.000). What did your exhaust valve check out at? I fully suspect your lash, I rarely see one that isn’t.

You did clean both jets right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts