Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've attached some images that shows my machine tipped up on the auger/impeller housing.

There is quite a bit of rust, but I don't think it's gone. Before I put on a new scraper blade and flip the shoes I'm looking for suggestions on how to prep this steel and protect it. 1-1/2" of the housing on the left side could use a little welding or some kind of right angle mending plate. I have limited welding skills and no equipment so it's probably got to be a plate (with some rivets?)
What would you do to this machine?

Thanks for the help, John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Doesn't Look All That Bad. If you Do Not have a Welder, Bring it to a Welding Shop or a Friend who has a Welder, and Zap it up. Scrape any Loose Powdercoating off, and Treat the Rusted and Exposed Areas with a Rust Converter. Rustoleuum makes One. Use Duplicolor DUP 1620 Chevy Orange for a Good Color Match. Check Your Auger Bearing while the machine is apart, having a good one makes a difference! Here is a good Source if you need one Ariens 54063, 05406300 | Ariens 54063

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check Your Auger Bearing while the machine is apart, having a good one makes a difference! Here is a good Source if you need one Ariens 54063, 05406300 | Ariens 54063
Thanks for the info Jackmels,

Is there only one Auger Bearing on one side of of the Auger Shaft? Is it the operator's left side? The right side has a part "Bearing support" but the diagram doesn't show a bearing.

Do you check the Auger Bearing the same way you would for a car? Is the bearing open so you can repack it with grease?

Thanks, John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Part #25 on the diagram. Check it for Play. Replace if sloppy. The side bushings are usually OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts