Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking about buying a new snowblower this summer, but my budget was cut due to putting a new roof on my house ($9,000 ouch) so I picked up this 10.5HP 29 inch MTD/Yardman a few days ago, in great condition and runs like new....I think its about 10 years old???.....I paid $280 Canadian for it, which would be about $200 USD, which I think is a good deal

I'm going to take some time going over it this summer to make sure everything is perfect, I'm a bit OCD that way.

Things I plan on doing.....disassembling and inspecting the auger and replacing the oil seals, re-greasing the gears (which brings up another question, which type of oil/grease to use in there?)....inspecting the auger shaft bearing, replacing if needed....clean the carb, replace spark plug, and do an oil change.

IMG_20200611_162353.jpg IMG_20200611_162403.jpg IMG_20200611_162415.jpg IMG_20200612_143108.jpg

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Congratulations
Machine looks to be in excellent condition, and should meet all your needs and snow conditions. Can't go wrong for that price on a well running machine. Belt cover is missing in the pictures hopefully it came with the blower, as it is definitely required when blowing snow.
Someone with more experience with MTD products can weigh in, but I think the gear case is a sealed unit and is packed with grease. It may have a small plastic tab on top which you may be able to add grease?

Reactions: jerryvvv

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations
Machine looks to be in excellent condition, and should meet all your needs and snow conditions. Can't go wrong for that price on a well running machine. Belt cover is missing in the pictures hopefully it came with the blower, as it is definitely required when blowing snow.
Someone with more experience with MTD products can weigh in, but I think the gear case is a sealed unit and is packed with grease. It may have a small plastic tab on top which you may be able to add grease?
thanks!!!

yes i have the belt cover, i took it off to look at the belts,

you are right, the gearbox is sealed with a small plug on top to add grease/oil

but i plan on taking it apart just to inspect the gearing, and putting new grease/oil in there, so i was wondering what i should use after/during re-assembly?

i have always used 80/90w gear oil in the past, but maybe this requires different?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks!!!

yes i have the belt cover, i took it off to look at the belts,

you are right, the gearbox is sealed with a small plug on top to add grease/oil

but i plan on taking it apart just to inspect the gearing, and putting new grease/oil in there, so i was wondering what i should use after/during re-assembly?

i have always used 80/90w gear oil in the past, but maybe this requires different?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i don't know if you got that good of a deal especially since it is summer time. i would also guess it is at least 15-20 years old based on just the engine since Tecumseh stopped making flat heads around 2006 or so. i would say $150-200 might have been a better ball park to call it a deal with overall condition. looks like the bucket might be bent out because of how cheap those buckets are. also may want to replace the skids if it isn't on your list already. i personally feel like the long preferably metal skids work better on those buckets to help strengthen the bottom and keep it from bending and flexing as much or you could likely makes some home made ones out of some old bed frame if your cheap lol. i don't know if i would go too crazy looking at the impeller gearbox if the impeller bearing/bushing is tight. maybe just top up the grease to be safe. only thing i would definitely recommend doing is the impeller mod. definitely helps give the machine some throwing distance. then other than that just do basic maintenance and clean/grease things so it works properly or comes apart as it should if you need to fix something in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
look forward to a future report after you go thru. i think it is a good deal if it works as it should.
how much snow does your area get?
do you have a flat area to blow or sloped? ( asking because this has wheels )
maybe install an impeller kit?
check out donyboy73 on you tube. has excellent snowblower videos.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
double post lol

yeah sorry bout that,

i posted the other thread "Rate My Buy" a few days ago, and it wasn't showing up on the forum, so I thought i messed up and did something wrong.....

so I posted this thread yesterday, then my original thread showed up after

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i don't know if i would go too crazy looking at the impeller gearbox if the impeller bearing/bushing is tight. maybe just top up the grease to be safe.
the rubber plug on the top of the auger gear box (where you add oil/grease) is missing, so i am thinking dirt/dust could have been getting in there?

so i want to take it apart to get all the old grease out, and replace with new.....and also buy the plug for it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
look forward to a future report after you go thru. i think it is a good deal if it works as it should.
how much snow does your area get?
do you have a flat area to blow or sloped? ( asking because this has wheels )
maybe install an impeller kit?
check out donyboy73 on you tube. has excellent snowblower videos.

my driveway is pretty much flat, that is my driveway in the pictures

most times it snows we get maybe 6-8 inches.....but get the occassional storm of 12+ inches, some storms even 20+ inches....my old blower (5HP) was basically useless in storms like that, so i wanted minimum 10HP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts