Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ever since I have looked at my buddies 22000 series and researched on it to get repairs done, I’ve decided to keep and eye and ear out for an older model.
Well happy Birthday to me! Today picked up this 10000 series 7hp she runs good has a few issues like no spark plug boot, missing a few screws, but runs pretty good for being 49-50 years old, actually is in better shape than I am!! 😊 Will do the usual oil changes, plug, new belt grease. But no more shoveling is a prayer answered. I read probably 400 threads and pages on this site about each series model and I think I got a good deal for a buck and a half. I’m sure I’ll have questions once I tinker with it, but starting 2021 with no more shovel is best birthday a guy could want!
View attachment 173071 View attachment 173072 View attachment 173073 View attachment 173074 View attachment 173075
That's the exact one I have! Make sure the shear bolts are real shear bolts.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Even though this motor started after two or three pulls, didn’t smoke, and ran decent with auger engaged, it probably would of started to hiccup soon, as the valve clearances were intake .013 exhaust .015. This is why I normally service top ends on ever used piece of equipment I get , it may run but it will run much better with proper clearances, fresh rebuilt carb, new breather filter, new oil. Now I’m thinking of checking the points. I’m sure that hasn’t been done ever. It’s obvious this motor wasn’t taken care of properly. While the outside looked good for 50+ the internal maintenance was lacking. I’m afraid to look at her belly. But that will be next. I’m sure it will need a lube job, and a few adjustments, I know the clutch handle is super sloppy but works. The gear oil will get fresh too. We normally only get two storms a year that produce enough to blow in Southwest PA, so I know once I get it fully serviced she will last my lifetime.
It will probably never snow in SW PA again!

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It will probably never snow in SW PA again!
I expect a 8”er in March, hopefully not like 1993! I’m sure I seen grade 8 bolts in there! I will pick up a pack thanks for reminder.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I brought mine home from CT after a field assignment and it didn't snow here for 2 years.
Life sure isn’t fair sometimes. This week last year i das over 40” in the yard. With some higher drifts. Bought a blower, then had to wait about ten months for blowable snow.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good for you for crafting that sheet metal under-cover. The good workmanship shows in the straight bend you were able to make. Normally, a Cornice brake or a box-and-pan brake would be needed for sheet metal forming.

FYI, the service position I use for an Ariens 1000 series Sno-Thro is to stand it up vertically on its Sno-Thro attachment bucket with the entire machine leaned against a wall. The hand grips will be touching against the wall. Secure the machine with a rope so it doesn't accidently fall over!

This position raises the tractor drive up to a more comfortable position for removing the under-cover and servicing the tractor drive. You can spin the wheels and see the friction wheel rotate.

This machine also didn’t have a belly plate so I made one from 16g steel.
View attachment 173516

·
Registered
385 Posts
Good for you for crafting that sheet metal under-cover. The good workmanship shows in the straight bend you were able to make. Normally, a Cornice brake or a box-and-pan brake would be needed for sheet metal forming.

FYI, the service position I use for an Ariens 1000 series Sno-Thro is to stand it up vertically on its Sno-Thro attachment bucket with the entire machine leaned against a wall. The hand grips will be touching against the wall. Secure the machine with a rope so it doesn't accidently fall over!

This position raises the tractor drive up to a more comfortable position for removing the under-cover and servicing the tractor drive. You can spin the wheels and see the friction wheel rotate.
I think I saw a belly plate for $20 on Ebay yesterday....

41 - 48 of 48 Posts