might upgrade to sho sheave and belts
blew very wetish dense snow bucket high today after impeller kit 45 feet
auto turn worked perfect for me
need to fix the blinding light

Attachments

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Very nice, enjoy it! It looks practically new! You said 414cc; snowblowersdirect shows it as 296cc, are their specs wrong?

https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ariens-921037-Snow-Thrower/p13698.html

LostinMaine, when you say a hand crank chute control, do you mean as compared to like an electric chute control? Or are you referring to something like the lever chute-steering that the Platinum seems to use?

I've only had the crank style of chute aiming. I'm just happy that my model has the crank up at the dashboard height. A previous machine had it down lower, so you had to bend down, so less practical to adjust while blowing. Though mine does have the crank on the user's side of the control panel. It does seem odd to me that some of their machines have now moved the crank forward of the control panel, on the blower's side of the panel, making you lean forward. But maybe that's not actually awkward during use.

Remote chute-height adjustment sounds cool, I've never had a machine with that. Mine can be retrofitted with it, but the kit is too expensive for my tastes. Cable-actuated chute height is at least not too risky. Cable-actuated chute rotation (I think some other brands do this) would make me a bit concerned about something freezing up. If you suddenly can't rotate the chute at all, you'd be kinda stuck.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Very nice, enjoy it! It looks practically new! You said 414cc; snowblowersdirect shows it as 296cc, are their specs wrong?

https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ariens-921037-Snow-Thrower/p13698.html

LostinMaine, when you say a hand crank chute control, do you mean as compared to like an electric chute control? Or are you referring to something like the lever chute-steering that the Platinum seems to use?

I've only had the crank style of chute aiming. I'm just happy that my model has the crank up at the dashboard height. A previous machine had it down lower, so you had to bend down, so less practical to adjust while blowing. Though mine does have the crank on the user's side of the control panel. It does seem odd to me that some of their machines have now moved the crank forward of the control panel, on the blower's side of the panel, making you lean forward. But maybe that's not actually awkward during use.

Remote chute-height adjustment sounds cool, I've never had a machine with that. Mine can be retrofitted with it, but the kit is too expensive for my tastes. Cable-actuated chute height is at least not too risky. Cable-actuated chute rotation (I think some other brands do this) would make me a bit concerned about something freezing up. If you suddenly can't rotate the chute at all, you'd be kinda stuck.
Not sure on thaat model but Ariens had quit a few models that you could order with either engine.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Cool, that's awesome! 414cc with 28", geez, there'll be no stopping it! The idea of using some of that extra power to spin the impeller and augers faster (the SHO setup) sounds pretty appealing.

Mine isn't as powerful, but I've wondered about trying to go to a slightly larger engine pulley for the impeller, on my 10hp 24", for more snow-processing ability.

If only there was a way to have 2 pulley ratios available, that would be really cool. High-speed impeller for general use, low-speed impeller for extra torque in deep/wet snow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts