Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all,

After about 15 years snowblowing around my loghouse in the Swiss Alps with my Honda HS760, I decided to buy a new one (given the price and availability of replacement parts).

In Switzerland, as far as I understood, regulations have recently changed and basically Yamaha and Honda cannot be sold anymore until they replace their carburators by fuel injection.
Since I have a Husqvarna robot lawn mower, I checked if they had snowblowers... and of course they have. I decided to test the top of the line ST430T.

The Husq is a beast compared to the Honda (on the pics below, it's the big one...): not far from twice the weight, twice the engine displacement and 30% larger width. In practice, the weight is not an issue (for a man...). Actually it has also levers to block one track and help turning. It works fine but it is not convenient because you have to press rather firmly, you can do without any way. Also not convenient is the lever for adjusting the blowing direction, but it may be a question of getting used to.

The forward speed seems faster than the Honda. I would have loved a faster reverse speed. I did not have much snow for this test, say 5 in. but I got the feeling I could go faster (ie full speed) than the Honda.

Very important for me is the reliability. I was quite happy with my Honda and don't know about Husq. So I looked if there was some electric or electronic stuff. Granted, there is an electric starter and therefore a battery (my Honda did not need any). The good news is that there is also a recoil start that works great (I tested on cold and hot start), although you definitely need more space to operate than with the Honda (and I am not sure my wife could use it). But as important is the fact, that *every lever or control is mechanical*, no electric motor at all, I love that...:) (I just discussed with my seller today and challenged him to start and operate it with the battery removed, just to be sure....)

Overall, and so far, I am totally happy with this Husq, much superior to my old Honda. I was chocked to see the price in the US by the way, about half the Swiss price... I bought it anyway:smile_big:

Have fun, snowblowers, ;)

Fred.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Very nice review! Was there any other brands that you had to choose from besides the Husky that had EFI?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Thanks for the review. You covered some important information. That Husky is a nice looking unit. I am like you, give me mechanical controls.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Is that a Hydro Trans in that unit?? Snowblower direct listed a Friction disc....... They also listed a 120 volt starter.... Although in the reviews, it says "Turn Key & Go"....

is it a different unit overseas??

Thanx, Jay

·
Registered
772 Posts
Man that thing moves some snow check out the end of this video.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Looks to me like one mean snow eating machine. That should have no problems with any snow.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the guards at the base of the chute to keep your hands out. (I assume). Maybe we could add that to all machines so everywhere.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm jealous. And feeling a bit inferior. Would love to take this one for a spin.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The forward speed seems faster than the Honda. I would have loved a faster reverse speed. I did not have much snow for this test, say 5 in. but I got the feeling I could go faster (ie full speed) than the Honda.

Have fun, snowblowers, ;)

Fred.
I wish you good luck with your new "400 Series" Husqvarna snowblower, I have been very happy with my "300 Series" Husqvarna that 2 years ago replaced a brand new HSS928 Honda with a clogging issue.

I've attached a link to a thread that had information for a simple adjustment to increase the reverse speed on the "300 Series" with the hydrostatic transmission, worked well for me, not sure if the "400 Series" has the same ability.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/husqvarna-snowblowers/130370-husqvarna-st324p-seems-really-slow.html

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
I had to look. It runs around $3K. :crying: They list a universal 120V starter cord for it and although the ad copy does say hit the key and go the spec sheet states 120 volt and recoil starter.
Looks like a really nice machine. Hope it takes good care of you. :wink2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had to look. It runs around $3K. :crying: They list a universal 120V starter cord for it and although the ad copy does say hit the key and go the spec sheet states 120 volt and recoil starter.
Looks like a really nice machine. Hope it takes good care of you. :wink2:

Very interesting, thanks.

However, I don’t want to lose any forward speed. By the way, reverse speed is normal, same as my Honda, it is not a defect but I would love going faster reverse even if it is a bit more dangerous :)

And I don’t think it’s critical enough to use the smart trick of chuckcintron and modify the rod bar...;)

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'd still take a Honda over the husky. The honda bashing has gotten a little out of hand over a collar on the chute.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just tested today: The Husq won't start if the battery is disconnected :( I don't know why....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I just tested today: The Husq won't start if the battery is disconnected :( I don't know why....
All the electrics for the EFI most likely run thru the battery circuitry. It may even be filtered in order to maintain voltage fluctuations.
Time to order up a factory service manual and dig into it! We want to know!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts