Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you go all the way to the bottom of the page where the entire line of snow removal equipment described in the chart you then go to the right and you will see the commercial snow blowers and the specifications are there for both the 1428 and the 1432.

If you expect to trailer this snow mule you should really think about using an enclosed trailer as the snow and salt are going to play havoc on it as the engine will be hot and the moisture will suck right to it. Even a small pick up with a good set of ramps will be better than an open trailer. If you have a space heater to warm it up and then dry it out like I have it prolongs the life of the machine and dries it out completely.
I just park the space heater to the side of the pups and let it work for 20 or 30 minutes to heat up the engine and the mixed gas and I have zero problems and when I am done clearing I just let the space heater melt everything and in the process of melting off the snow and ice the salt will evaporate off with the ice and and snow.

The Toro's are 300 pounds or so without the front weight and you need keep that in mind as you will want the front weight as you need to be able to break up all the built up snow pack.

They will not have any issue with clearing things as long as you take your time and just let the machine work as your casting distance will be as great or greater distance than what Toro has found they will cast the snow AND using Fluid Film will increase the distance the snow can be thrown based on my experience with my snow pups and the junk JD44 inch snow blower I have.

Short of all this you need to purchase a Yamaha 624 but your looking at more money but a machine that is as tough as the either of the Toro's and has track drive and uses one V belt.

I am not trying to spend your money but an enclosed trailer will save you a lot of grief and you will be able to do a lot with it;

1. store fuel in a safety can rack
2. have a small tool box that you can secure it to the floor with a tie down rack in the floor.
3. be able to safely secure your snowblower to the floor with a tie down rack or tie down rings
4. move lawnmowers safely
5. carry a very small generator to use for lights and an electric heater in the trailer if you need to change a drive belt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's the auger diameter. I called customer service to clarify. Toro won't tell you the impeller diameter "for safety reasons", and I'm pretty sure this is the unit I saw in home depot last winter and said to myself I wonder if that beefy looking machine with a 420cc engine has a bigger impeller! So I grabbed a tape measure. Let's just say the results reminded me of when you see that big truck and someone's clearly over compensating. Now, if you have one of these units handy and could measure it, that would be great, maybe I had a different big toro in front of me, but I'm also liking the fact the ariens and cub come with a hydrostat

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The impeller diameter is 14 inches; if you watch his videos he talks about it when he show the units features in the video.

The anti clog system helps by simply metering the amoun of snow that enters the housing and spitting out the excess snow back into the cross auger housing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think I found one of the videos you were mentioning, can't find the other. either way I'm sure it's going to come down to if I can even buy either the toro or ariens, how far I have to drive to buy one, and how far I have to drive to get them serve\iced. I have a very bad dealer network here in town. The one dealer that sells both toro and ariens I've had to call the police on the owner, so they ren't going to get my money (countryside lawn and sports, niagara, wi, don't go there). The other small engine dealers in my area blame every issue on the owner and refuse to fix errors/recurring issues in a satisfactory manner, charging for every repair. Anyway, I'll have to see if I can even find either in. august or september and how far I have to drive to get one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's also less than ideal I have to do something to do either one. I'd have to move the light and apparently re jet the carb on the toro, and put in a rectifier and light bar on the ariens, and possibly retrofit tracks. With the ariens I get a hydrostatic drive, which I'm a fan of, and support a very local company. the toro is cheaper, by the sound of it as capable as or maybe a touch more than the ariens (maybe backwards, idk), if greater throwing distance was important the toro would be better, but I actually need less, so the ariens is better for this situation. I have to think about this, maybe see what some dealers that handle both think. thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you have that much trouble with local dealers you might as well cross the border and buy a Yamaha 624 with track drive. I don't believe you will have to rejet the carburator on the yamaha and you can use high test fuel and some seafoam for it. They all have a 3 year consumer warranty from what I remember of them.

The other thing is that its small enough and light enough that you can carry it on a power wheel chair carrier on your 2 inch hitch receiver along with a type 3 safety can of gasoline.

They are $3,199.00 canadian loonies(todays Canadian Dollar price)and will be much less with the US dollar to Loonie conversion AND your sale tax will be refunded to you at the border crossing or by the dealer with the use of a credit card.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
OK here we go;

The Yamaha 624 is $3,199.00 canadian price with the exchange rate of 73 Canadian cents to one USD equals $2,350.95 USD as of todays exchange rate

The eight percent Ontario Province sales tax of $188.04 is refunded at the border to you.

If you use a credit card the exchange and sales sales calculations are taken care of by the dealer for you if you use a credit card to make your purchase.

You need an American passport to cross the border to Canada and to reenter the USA

You will be able to use a power wheel chair carrier on a two inch receiver hitch with either rmachine

No one is trying to hinder you we only want to help you with this.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Biggest obstacle is the Canada/US border is currently closed to non essential travel. May or may not be opened up by winter?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Biggest obstacle is the Canada/US border is currently closed to non essential travel. May or may not be opened up by winter?
==========================================================================================

Hello Ziggy,

I forgot about the border controls, but I think that they can still ship freight across the border in either direction.

Lets hope we can help this fellow as I remember not so fondly of my share POS walk behinds in 1968 that would die the minute you engaged the auger and you would have to drag the extension cord down the driveway to start the bloody things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
thank you all, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a yamaha, probably the largest one, it's still in the $3k range, so, doable for me. I just have to figure out if I can get one in august when I'm over by the border to get my kid back. nevermind, I had the conversion wrong. it's $4600

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Now you have me drooling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to the Yamaha dealer list in that province closest to you and call each dealer to see if they will ship it to you by truck as you do not have to deal with an import export agent.
The Canadian trucking companies are down here in New York making deliveries and picking up loads so I see no reason why you cannot get it delivered with a drop gate trailer. The truck driver has to have room to make the delivery and exit so you may end up transferring it to a local trucking company loading dock and you may just need to pick it up with a good aluminum flat bed trailer with a ramp deck.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts