Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 1971 Toro 31832 8/32 torn apart to replace the impeller shaft bearing. I unbolted the sideplates to allow to allow the auger/impeller shaft to float. My problem is, I can't get the bearing off the shaft. I have heated it and tried to drive the shaft towards the front of the snowblower in an effort to move the shaft through the bearing, to no avail.
Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
you are going to have to split the machine in half. take off the side panels. scraper bar, augers. then you will have to pull the auger pulley off with a puller. undo the set screw that holds the bearing to the shaft. take the shaft assm out. undo the carriage bolts that hold the bearing assm in. let me know if you need more help

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I'm trying to replace #10. I have already split the machine in half. took off the side panels. scraper bar, augers. pulled the auger pulley off. The bearing on my machine is held onto the shaft with an eccentric collar (the replacement bearing has set screws) the shaft. I undid the carriage bolts that hold the bearing assembly in but I cannot get the shaft out of the bearing. I have tried heating the bearing, to no avail, Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve?

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Parts 12 and 13, the collar and it's set screw are likely what Powershift is talking about. Have you loosened up the set screw and removed the collar yet ??

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Do you think a puller would help ?? If it's the bearings inner race is seized to the shaft maybe some force from a puller will get it off ??
You can get a loaner puller from most auto parts stores so you wouldn't need to buy one if you don't have one.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
And if all else fails, you can either use a torch to cut it off or a high speed grinder with a cut off wheel. Even an electric drill with a cut off wheel would work just takes a bit longer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the type bearing that is on the shaft, it's probably not the original.
It uses a ring that you slip over the bearing and turn until it locks on the shaft, then you tighten the set screw.

The new Toro bearing is more conventional with 2 set screws that tighten directly onto the shaft.
Like this:

I can't get a puller around the bearing and it's still sitting down in the three holed sheetmetal flange, making it hard to cut with a wheel.I have heated the bearing with a torch while pounding on the shaft with a brass hammer with no luck. I will try grinding tomorrow.

·
9,612 Posts
you might have to take the gear box apart to slip it through. that first bearing in the pic has a threaded screw. with no head. maybe kissafrog can put a arrow on that I have no idea how to do that one. that screw might have to be drilled out. or you could cut the flanges. but then u will have to get new ones.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
If you have the assembly out it might be possible to have someone with a press get something under the bearing for a support and push the shaft through it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in the process of making a puller to bolt in where the flange bolts are with a 1/2 threaded rod to push the shaft out of the bearing. I'll keep you informed on my progress.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up making a puller that bolted to the same 3 bolts that held the impeller bearing in and literally pressed the shaft out of the bearing. It was not easy, I would put tension on the puller then heat up the bearing and wait for it to "pop" and I would get another 1/4 turn on the puller. It was like that all the way off.
Here are a couple of pictures of the puller.

·
9,612 Posts
I ended up making a puller that bolted to the same 3 bolts that held the impeller bearing in and literally pressed the shaft out of the bearing. It was not easy, I would put tension on the puller then heat up the bearing and wait for it to "pop" and I would get another 1/4 turn on the puller. It was like that all the way off.
Here are a couple of pictures of the puller.

NICE JOB ON the puller there JERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts