Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a used snowblower. I am in western NY, so we get quite a bit of snow.

I came across a listing for a 2018 Ariens ST28DLE Deluxe SHO 306cc snow blower. It looks like new in the pictures. The asking price is $800.

Could you please tell me:
1) is this a reliable/good model?
2) what’s you opinion of the condition based on the pics?
3) what’s a good price for this machine?

Thank you

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Hood Plant Automotive tire

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi, welcome to the site. That's a really nice Ariens blower but being it's summer you can always offer him a little less. I sold my older 28" 11.5hp Airens this spring and got good money for it and the one you have posted is a lot nicer than mine was.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That’s a really nice model. I think it’s about the bang for the buck in snow blowers. If it starts well, idles we’ll, and is smith when you run it through the gears, I’d offer 750 ( summer price) for it, just based on the normal little bit of surface rust in the bucket, & scraper. It looks like he regularly rinsed the salt off of it, and if he did the normal upkeep ( oil change, lube chain, lube axels etc it should be a solid performer. He probably paid just under a grand for it, and there around 1675 now.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I have the same blower which I purchased new in February 2019.
It has been a great machine, easily handling 2 foot snow falls and the Auto Turn steering works very well on my 250' U shaped gravel driveway.
Many, including myself think the D28 SHO is one of the best bang for your $ blowers on the market.
In Canada, snow blowers cost more than in the US, in 2019 the D28 SHO listed for $2140.00. So $800.00 would be a very good deal here for that machine , which appears to be in great condition. If the machine checks out and works as it should $700.00 -$800.00 should be a fair to good price in your area.

You will need to check out the machine in person and check it over to ensure it runs and operates well.

My machine earning it's keep:
Snow Automotive tire Tree Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
My dealer loaned me a 256cc Deluxe 24" used model for a few weeks last winter. It is a very capable machine that is easy to use and handles all the snow conditions around here. Very economical on gas and easy to use. The reach over the console was a bit awkward at first but I soon got used to it. Very good machine.

Your proposed machine will be even more capable and looks to have had very little use. Looks like a good buy.

Reactions: Kxm9976

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it starts and runs well I'd say buy it. You can try to negotiate on the price if you want but considering the years of service you'll get out of this that $50 isn't going to make much difference in the long run. Ariens is a quality machine. I've had mine for 10 years and it's a champ.

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
783 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a used snowblower. I am in western NY, so we get quite a bit of snow.

I came across a listing for a 2018 Ariens ST28DLE Deluxe SHO 306cc snow blower. It looks like new in the pictures. The asking price is $800.

Thank you

View attachment 195485
View attachment 195486
View attachment 195484
Ariens makes a nice machine, I have one and like it very much. That particular one is very nice and with proper maintenance will give you years of reliable service.
Is it a good deal? That is your call. If I didn’t have a snowblower and had a budget that would afford me the cost, I would buy it. You will get many opinions on what is a monetary good deal, ultimately it comes down to you. As I’ve said in prior posts, many of my machines were not what you would call a “good deal” but they were to me and that is all that matters.
Welcome to the forum, post pix of what you ultimately pick up. If in the future you should break it, log back on and post a lengthy repair thread with lots of pictures and questions…

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hello, As others have said this is a nice unit, at the time he bought it new it sold for about $1200. USD, Four years ago. It is a nice relatively simple machine, no heated grips, complex chute control which may be a good thing over the long haul. The over the dash crank I find a little awkward on these machines especially if you're not too tall but this doesn't seem to bother most owners. Where you live there is a lot of snowfall (as you know). The auger shows some rust/wear likely nothing major but tou may want to look under the bucket just to make sure there is no extensive rust. The 306cc China built Honda clone engine offers good power with the 28" auger bucket. I wouldn't go any less than 306cc's with the 28" model. Toro's HD units are also good machines at this price point. I would try to get him down to about $700. of the unit is in good condition, that would be a fair price. I attached a vid by Donyboy73 that tells you what to look for when buying a used snowblower. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I am going to check this and few other 24, 28 and 30 inch Ariens in my area. Besides EFI, what are some other features or modes I should stay away from?

Luckily, snowblowers don’t seem to be selling well in the summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thank you

View attachment 195485
View attachment 195486
View attachment 195484
if it has the on left handle short chrome grip for easy turning there are NOT EFFECTIVE. I HAVE YOUR SAME BUT 30 INCH. After 2 years the device was not working . had local shop remove . ARIENS DESIGN MISTAKE. Otherwise yours looks good to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thank you

View attachment 195485
View attachment 195486
View attachment 195484
I was raised in Buffalo and that machine looks like a winner to me. What I would be asking myself if it is big enough for my needs, if so, I think haggle the price and see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to check out the Ariens snowblower tomorrow. The seller is open to offers since he is moving south. I am not sure how much I can get it for.

However, another person is selling a brand new Toro PowerMax HD 1030 for $700 FIRM. What would you do? Is the used Arien in my first post better option @$600-700 vs brand new Toro?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The Toro is a great machine as well.
I would be suspicious of a brand new $2000+ machine being sold for $700.00. What is the back story on the machine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Toro is a great machine as well.
I would be suspicious of a brand new $2000+ machine being sold for $700.00. What is the back story on the machine?
Apparently, it was a liquidation model (defective) with fuel delivery problems and it wouldn’t start. He has changed the fuel lines and everything works. He has some way of getting the factory defective products, then he repairs and sells them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts