Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I have an 8hp Tecumseh engine that the connection rod broke and exited the case , it broke both sides . So I was looking for a replacement engine . This is the number I got HMSK80 15548OS D3320D .

I'm a little on the lazy side I didn't want to pull the engine out till I had a replacement ready to roll . I don't know the crankshaft length or diameter .

I was looking to buy a replacement engine new or used . Perhaps you have one sitting in your shop or garage ?

Thanks in advance

John

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I have a used HM-80 that only has a hole in one side. Is that of any help to you? :)

I replaced mine with a 212cc Predator from Harbor Freight. I had a 1" crankshaft and the new engine was only 3/4" so I bought new pulleys too. I think the center line was a bit lower and I used shorter belts as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a used HM-80 that only has a hole in one side. Is that of any help to you? :)

I replaced mine with a 212cc Predator from Harbor Freight. I had a 1" crankshaft and the new engine was only 3/4" so I bought new pulleys too. I think the center line was a bit lower and I used shorter belts as well.
Thanks for the offer , I was looking to R/R for the same . I'm looking to keep it simple . If it does not go my way I may do that what was the cost and how much trouble was it ?

John

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

I am considering replacing my 8hp Briggs and Stratton with a 212cc Predator too. I am not to impressed with the old Briggs. Yes it runs. But no where near as well as the Predator. Now the 11hp bolted on directly to the motor mounts? The Predator seems as powerful as the Briggs and it will use less fuel. I would like a reliable great running engine vessel a poorly running one that Burns and leaks some oil. The Predator doesn't burn a drop of oil and on this the mini-bike I have I replaced the air intake on it and rejetted it and boy does it go. It was a wheelie machine until I put 18 pounds of metal mounted in front of the engine. 12lbs over the front wheel and 6lbs mounted on the frame just in front of the engine. I love the performance now.plus at 212cc it puts out 9.5 foot pounds of torque.

·
Registered
864 Posts
a set of rings and a few seals, and the old Briggs or Tecumseh will run another 40 years. these parts are not very expensive. and no shaft height or diameter issues to deal with.

if the case is not holed it's pretty easy to just refresh the existing engine. the predator may run good "now", but it won't last as long as the old Briggs did. the metallurgy in a Briggs was far better than anything made in China today.

being it tossed a rod, you need a new case.

if the old Briggs used oil and leaked, it's because someone didn't change the oil regularly, or better yet just put Amsoil in one time and you're done. or, it just has so many service hours that it finally wore out.

I just got another 8HP Briggs running yesterday on a New Holland and those engines never cease to amaze me. it sat for so long outside it had a mouse next in the bottom of the pullstart cover, and rotted right through like swiss cheese. I put a Nova II on it and cleaned the carb, it started right up on the first pull.

to make an analogy, my last few cars ran 220,000 miles each, they were getting ready for a ring job. the 2 I have now have 205,000 and 190,000 miles on them. another one I sold and replaced had 180,000 miles and still didn't smoke. this doesn't mean they were bad cars or engines, actually it means the opposite, they were that good to give that many miles of trouble free service. the last thing I'd do is replace them with cars or engines made in China, because these American made engines ran for so long so well.

Chinese engines won't run 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I like using what came off simply because it makes things easier. That said they were never much of an engine to start with and if you happen to find yourself in a situation where a predator bolts on with minimal effort they're not a bad choice. They're smoother, quieter, start more reliably and use less gas than an old flat head Tecumseh. Honestly the biggest issue with them is a lack of proper parts support.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I like using what came off simply because it makes things easier. That said they were never much of an engine to start with and if you happen to find yourself in a situation where a predator bolts on with minimal effort they're not a bad choice. They're smoother, quieter, start more reliably and use less gas than an old flat head Tecumseh. Honestly the biggest issue with them is a lack of proper parts support.
Oldminibikes.com sells parts for the Predator 212cc engine. Piston and rings and gaskets and connecting rod. I agree that it is better than trying to resurrect an old antiquated flat head engine that makes less power per CC than than this very well built albeit Chinese engine. All the people who say the Loncin built Predator 212cc is junk have simply never seen one or owned one. Tecumseh is dead because they were complacent and the metallurgy was not all that great on them. Cool bore cylinders would wear out must faster than cast iron cylinder line bores and bushing supported crank couldn't take any near the rpms of dual ball bearing supported crankshafts. Toro has their engines made by Loncin too so they are of decent quality. Less quality than a real Honda engine but way better than Tecumseh ever made

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey guys , I have an 8hp Tecumseh engine that the connection rod broke and exited the case , it broke both sides . So I was looking for a replacement engine . This is the number I got HMSK80 15548OS D3320D .
I'm a little on the lazy side I didn't want to pull the engine out till I had a replacement ready to roll . I don't know the crankshaft length or diameter . I was looking to buy a replacement engine new or used . Perhaps you have one sitting in your shop or garage ?
Thanks in advance
John
here are a few Tecumseh HM80 blocks on Ebay, you can buy one and populate the case with the external parts from your existing engine. that's what I'd recommend and do if it was mine. then it would be a bolt on with no mods required and be original configuration

Tecumseh 8HP Snow Blower Long Block Engine HM80 with Electirc Start | eBay

·
Registered
864 Posts
here is a complete snow king

·
Registered
864 Posts

I'm a little on the lazy side I didn't want to pull the engine out till I had a replacement ready to roll . I don't know the crankshaft length or diameter .

I was looking to buy a replacement engine new or used . Perhaps you have one sitting in your shop or garage ?

Thanks in advance

John

check out the Jacobsen for sale in the lobby forum. $100 and the HM80 engine is pristine.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
just get the predator, much smoother running, much more torque, and much more reliable. plus almost all honda gx200 parts will fit

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
just get the predator, much smoother running, much more torque, and much more reliable.
The above is opinion, not fact.

much smoother running: perhaps.
much more torque: not necessarily.
and much more reliable: probably not. not long term anyway.

Scot

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
have you ever tried to start a tecumseh hm80 that was well maintained by me for years and had a brand new carburetor on it? all I can say is have fun wearing out your arm. my hm80 never ran right, puked gas out the muffler, and gave me trouble as long as I had it (about 5 years) and had gave the previous owner trouble for the five he had it. all I can say is I love my honda clone, and it makes my snowblower feel like a whole new machine with the addition of an impeller kit. cant beat one pull starts every time, just pull the choke, set the throttle to high and pull. try that with your precious tecumseh

·
Registered
581 Posts
have you ever tried to start a tecumseh hm80 that was well maintained by me for years and had a brand new carburetor on it? all I can say is have fun wearing out your arm. my hm80 never ran right, puked gas out the muffler, and gave me trouble as long as I had it (about 5 years) and had gave the previous owner trouble for the five he had it. all I can say is I love my honda clone, and it makes my snowblower feel like a whole new machine with the addition of an impeller kit. cant beat one pull starts every time, just pull the choke, set the throttle to high and pull. try that with your precious tecumseh
This forum is full of threads with this debate, but I have to speak up this time for MY precious tecumseh here.
My 52 year old H60 is a one pull start everytime. With all due respect, I think it's tough to say all tecumseh's are bad when you don't have the whole maintence history of an engine and are starting with a 10, 20, or 30 year old engine with an unknown past. Proper care from the start and anything will last a lifetime. Sure the Honda clone starts on first pull now, but will it in 52 years? If you put an NOS HM80 on your blower it would start on one pull too.

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
And since we often like to use ONE persons bad experience on this forum to make broad generalizations and judgments about populations of thousands of engines, here is ONE persons experience with a new Harbor Freight Predator engine..should we conclude from this that ALL Predator engines will behave this way? based on many posts here about Tecumseh engines, yes..yes we should:

By Ward Evans (San Francisco, CA USA)

This review is from: Predator 6.5 HP 212cc OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine - NOT Certified for California; Fuel Shut Off and Recoil Start

If you're looking for a great bicep and deltoid workout with elements of cardio, look no further than the Predator Engine.

I am on my third Predator Engine from Harbor Freight & Tool, and my upper body is starting to look ripped. I simply unpack the engine, follow the instructions to the letter, grip the starter cord, and pull it - again and again. It couldn't be easier.

The best feature of the Predator is probably its super-quiet operation. In spite of the fact that I added the proper gas and oil, and turned on the ignition, choke, and fuel switches as the manual instructs, I was never once bothered by the obnoxious sound of internal combustion that plagues many similar engines. Just to shake things up I even tried testing and replacing the spark plug, but the Predator never troubled me with more than a little flywheel noise the entire time. And the awful smell of exhaust was nonexistent.

The Predator Engine has even helped me make new friends. The manager at Harbor Freight now knows me by sight, and is happy to let me go back to the shelf and choose from a number of re-taped, re-packaged boxes of Predator Engines (which have no doubt been returned by less fitness-conscious customers - their loss).

While I'm really enjoying the Predator Engine as a fitness device, I'm thinking that its weight might also be perfect for holding down the edge of a tarp in the back yard next to the wood pile. Come to think of it, the irregular shape might also make the Predator a fantastic boat anchor as well.

In short, don't waste your money on a noisy, smelly Honda or Briggs engine when you can have the ultra-quiet, non-running performance of the Predator. Just buy it today and you'll be on your way to buff arms and new friends in no time.
from: http://www.amazon.com/Predator-212cc-Horizontal-Shaft-Engine/product-reviews/B005U31ORU/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Scot

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
ive owned brand new tecumsehs(an eager 1 on a craftsman, threw a rod after five years) and a tecumseh 2 stroke(seized after 2 years) in babied the mower, check the oil before every mow, i did the break in when new, i always kept it stored inside, i changed the oil twice a year, and it repays me by chucking its rod through the block. the tecumseh 2 stroke was run with extra oil for the first tank, always maintained, always kept inside, never over reved, yet it still seized

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
I have a 44 year old original Tecumseh engine on my 1971 Ariens, running fine.
I see TONS of used snowblowers for sale on Craigslist, with 20, 30, 40 and even 50 year old Tecumseh engines on them..still running fine.

(I think im going to post this after every post someone makes about a bad experience with a Tecumseh..just to keeps things balanced...the Tecumseh-bashing is getting out of hand lately.)

Scot

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
im not brand bashing, i am just simply saying that I dont particularly like tecumseh engine. now, saying that, i have had good luck with some older tecumseh engine, like the old ones on the ariens blowers, but if anything more is wrong than a dirty carb or other basic issues they will be removed and replaced with a clone. be aware that I am not simply scrapping tecumsehs I pull, most get sold on craigslist for cheap as parts engines. so a lot of them do live second lifes

·
Registered
581 Posts
That's cool, I probably have to agree with you in that respect. If I were flipping machines for money, clones would be the way to go. For me personally, I love OLD Tecumseh's. If the one on my blower ever goes, I will seek out another classic H60 to keep it original.
Hey Scot- this one is for you man...one of my favorite days of the fall today, when I put the old girl back together as the weather is getting real cold...No BS, I haven't started it since April...add gas, choke, a little blue smoke from the fogging oil and she's off...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts