Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my exhaust bolt retaining strap. My make shift strap did not work.

I don't want to make my own. I would like to buy one.

Can anyone give me a link or let me buy one from them? Can't be more than $10 bucks.

Please help.

Thanks

Rob

Ariens ST 824

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I buy a new exhaust will it come with the new exhaust bolt retaining strap.

also would a new exhaust just rust like mine is now?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I bought a new muffler I believe from ebay and it didn't have the retainer...however it had the bolts; a trip to the nearest OPE shop had a used one.

Regarding the rust, I spray-bombed mine with rusto high-heat primer / paint & baked it in a toaster oven in my garage (to avoid my wife's wrath! :eek:).

It smoked a little when I first fired it up but it still looks new after a couple of runs; paint didn't bubble off. I'll check-back in 10 years to see if it rusts from the inside-out :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered two of them with that link. Cool, thanks everyone! 7.58 for both shipping is included in that price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took hitemp barbaque grill paint. I won't why mine burned off and yours didn't? Mine burned off right away on the first use.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I took hitemp barbaque grill paint. I won't why mine burned off and yours didn't? Mine burned off right away on the first use.
because it's a muffler and not a bbq :p

...sorry, but the jerk in me couldn't resist! :D

What sold me were some youtube videos of them painting car exhausts. You have to prime with rusto high-heat primer, paint & bake it per the instructions on the can.

I was skeptical at first...especially when smoke poured off of it after I 1st cranked it over (a lot of the smoke was fogging oil from an engine overhaul).

I've run it quite a few times and it still looks great.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
What type of paint? Also did you ruin the little cooking stove you baked it in?
The paint is "Rustoleum High-heat" from Lowes...there's also a Rustoleum high-heat primer.

It stank a little especially at the highest heat cycle...had to open the garage door & run the fan :) It didn't leave any visible residue however I haven't used it since. I plan to give it a good long broil if I do ever use it again for cooking...I'm still on the fence about using it for cooking again to be honest.

For car mufflers, you run the car for incrementally longer amounts of time...same can probably be done for the snowthrower.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Can I do this without heating it like that?
try a few heating cycles using snowthrower once it's installed. Start with like 5min, 10min 15min giving it time to cool in-between. I imagine that it's gonna smoke & stink like crazy...so you may have some damage control to do with the wife and/or neighbors afterwards :D.

EDIT: Disclaimer; ^^^ this is not how I did it so I can't guarantee that it will work!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Divorced and the neighbor on the right is friends with the ex so we don't talk at all(girls stick together)and no neighbor on the other side. But I will try it when it warms up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts