Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, unlike some of the newer designs where the hex shaft is open on one end, my 1965 is encapsulated on both ends. I don't see an easy way out. Does the entire tranny needs to be taken out? Any tips or tricks?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yep, at least as I remember from last summer. The instructions in the manual were pretty descriptive, at least enough that I was able to follow and get it done. I don't have the instructioni me at the moment. I also remember getting my finger caught between two of the metal pieces....that hurt! I followed the instructions in the manual and was able to get it done as a first-timer, so you'll be able to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I just replaced the disc on my '65. Was worn almost as much as yours looks, but the new one barely made a difference. I've haven't posted a question on what do next, if anything... But, to get it out, you'll need to disconnect all the linkages and the "top" throw-out bearing rod/pin. The big problem I had was trying to remove the pin that runs through the pivot tube. There's a cotter pin you pull out, but mine was severely rusted to the tube and especially the ~2" long spacer on the right side. This is supposed to slide out and let you pull the disc bracket out. I couldn't get mine out and pulled the chain off, removed the gear bolts so they had just enough play to wrestle the disc bracket out. Royal pain! I didn't think I'd get it all back in, but I did.. with no extra parts left either. That's just a quick recap of what I can remember. I took pictures along the way and can post one or two if it helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the fast replies. I got the unit out and the friction disk replace. However, when I was taking it out, i did not pay attention to how the spring is attached. can someone direct me where the spring hooks on to?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a look at one of my other machines and figured out where the spring latches to. A bit more work than I expected, but she's all buttoned up and as good as new.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hey Ken,
What was Ariens thinking when they designed that drive system replacement procedure?
That the original would last 50 years give or take....that's what. MH

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That springs looks a little rough. There was a thread a few days about replacement. just sayin
good point. I'll look into getting a few spares.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Ken,
What was Ariens thinking when they designed that drive system replacement procedure?
That the original would last 50 years give or take....that's what. MH
I also got a chuckle reading the instructions in the manual. they made it sound so casual.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ken, good to see you have it back together. Helps to have two of the same machines around! It's funny you just did this because I picked up a new disc a few weeks ago myself and have yet jump in there and tackle the drivetrain. I think I may wait until warmer days (which feel like they may never come at this point!) 6-8 more inches coming tonight!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts