Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have this little motor, which came installed on a second hand go-kart we bought for our daughter. The guy who sold it to us said it was an old snow blower motor. There was no identification plate. The carb was just rebuilt, and now I can't get the fool thing started! (The electric start gears are stripped, too.

Could someone help me a) identify the exact engine model, b) tell me what each lever does, c) tell me what position each should be in to start the little bugger, and d) turn me on to a source for cheap electric starters.

Pics below, Picasa album here.

Thanks!

Mr. Dog

- -

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
It is a Tecumseh, probably HS-50 or HS-35.

The numbers are going to be stamped on the metal under the plug for the starter.

Remove those 2 long screws and then you will find them.

The lever you are talking about is probably the choke. Just watch the plate on the side of the carb and close it to start. Also push the little black button by the pull cord a couple times first. The second lever closer to the engine is the old throttle. I think it has been disconnected / bypassed by the cable to the gas pedal. Yea looks like the linkage for the original throttle and the governor is gone so the only thing controlling the engine is now the cable going to the pedal.

Clean all the dirt out from around it before you start riding it too. A cool engine is a happy engine. You should get an air filter too. Snowblowers don't usually have them, but you should be able to find one from a similar engine. You could find a Harbor Freight near you and see if they have any of the 6.5HP Greyhounds left. They have had them on clearance for like $75. Will take a bit of work to get the throttle set up, but then you will have a nice near 6.5 HP Honda clone.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/65-hp-horizontal-shaft-overhead-valve-gas-engine-66014.html

If you have a 20% off coupon too you are golden.

If you just stripped the plastic gear on the starter, you can get a new one from any lawn mower / small engine supply / repair place.

I think the gears are about $10. If the engine is running good you shouldn't need it though.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Take the electric start button off the top of the engine and see if there is a engine model number is under it. I guess i posted a little too late

·
Registered
756 Posts
It is a Tecumseh, probably HS-50 or HS-35.

The numbers are going to be stamped on the metal under the plug for the starter.

Remove those 2 long screws and then you will find them.

The lever you are talking about is probably the choke. Just watch the plate on the side of the carb and close it to start. Also push the little black button by the pull cord a couple times first.

Clean all the dirt out from around it before you start riding it too. A cool engine is a happy engine. You should get an air filter too. Snowblowers don't usually have them, but you should be able to find one from a similar engine. You could find a Harbor Freight near you and see if they have any of the 6.5HP Greyhounds left. They have had them on clearance for like $75. Will take a bit of work to get the throttle set up, but then you will have a nice near 6.5 HP Honda clone.
I just ordered a 6.5hp harbor freight from there online store for 75.00 less 20% by using the shop20 coupon. With shipping and tax it came out to just under 75.00 and I didn't have to drive 25 miles to the store to get it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, it was really helpful! I don't know about the new engine, as the kart itself is a little beat up. We may just go for a new kart altogether. But if I buy just a kart body...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts