Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first post! Thanks for having me, you guys are awesome. Total noob here btw.

I was hoping someone might be able to look at the attached pic of a used motor that I bought to repower an old st824. It runs as is, but has no kill switch.

Could I easily add something?

Could I buy the genuine Honda ignition switch and wire it in?

Could I add an electric start?

Am I missing the low oil sensor?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
You could wire in an OEM Honda kill switch which is about 70 bucks or get 3 generic Chinese kill switches for around 6 bucks on Ebay which I have done. In the meantime you can use that motor and just either choke out engine to stop or stick a wire in that plug and ground out to metal to stop.

Not sure about adding an electric start. good question. I'm sure someone will come along soon and give some good advice.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
1. It runs as is, but has no kill switch.
2. Could I add an electric start?
3. Am I missing the low oil sensor?
1. Here's a link to a kill switch for $0.99: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Power-Stop-On-Off-Kill-Switch-For-Honda-GX110-GX270-GX240-GX340-GX390/183497547691?hash=item2ab94e5fab:g:NeoAAOSwT-pb5YMX:rk:1:pf:0
2. Yes. It's cheaper if you already have a toothed flywheel. Here's a link to the entire kit for $88.88: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-START-KIT-STARTER-MOTOR-FLYWHEEL-SWITCH-HONDA-GX240-8HP-GX270-9HP-NEW/331657698126?hash=item4d3856db4e:g:sCEAAOSwKIpV-tUv:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!04074!US!-1:rk:6:pf:0
3. Since snowblowers get tilted a lot in use (going up stairs, etc.), they usually don't have the low oil sensor. It's expected that you'll check the oil before using it each time.

Here's what the Electric Start looks like installed:

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
:welcome: to SBF UltraPasteurized

Or have you got the stuff on order ??

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Did you ever install the kill switch or the electric start kit?
if it were me, i would forget about installing an electric start on a Honda. Sometimes they are nice to have because I have bad rotator cuffs in both shoulders but with a well tuned engine my blowers start on first or second pull.

i wish new members would check back after other members take the time to offer advice. see that a lot here that they do not.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
if it were me, i would forget about installing an electric start on a Honda. Sometimes they are nice to have because I have bad rotator cuffs in both shoulders but with a well tuned engine my blowers start on first or second pull.

i wish new members would check back after other members take the time to offer advice. see that a lot here that they do not.
Yes hondas start pretty much first pull or 1/2 pull. I have one with and one without electric start. After seeing the price of a replacement starter it makes the pull start look good. Also a new battery every few years. An expensive luxury. Power chute is nice thou, love that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts