Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD 1032 with the Tecumseh HM100 engine, finally blew up. Anyone know what engine will fit with the least mod. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
hello steven, welcome to SBF!! you could measure the length of the crankshaft and head to harbor freight to see if the 301 or larger motor is the same lengthdo the same with a briggs too. you could look for another hm100

·
Registered
28 Posts
5 years ago installed a Honda Clone ona 1973 JD 726, it was an easy install and the engine ran great, lots of power..

·
Registered
792 Posts
An 8 or 9 hp Tecumseh should slide right in if you can locate one on Craig's. You won't notice any difference in performance either. Or go the HF way if new is important. MH

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Don't know Your Location, but I have Good Used Tecumseh Engines Available in Central Ma.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Generally speaking, pay attention to the shaft diameter--they are usually either 3/4 or 1." Can use a sleeve to enlarge a 3/4" shaft. The two Tecumseh frame sizes you can encounter have the same mounting bolt pattern but in a different location. I think most blowers will be drilled for both.

Cheap as they are, the Harbor Freight engines are a more modern and sophisticated design. They will generally have compatible mounting and shaft dimensions. But, few people are going to run a snowblower enough hours to wear out a properly maintained engine.

In some cases, an overhead valve engine may have interference with the chute control.

If buying a Briggs or Tecumseh, "cast iron sleeve" or "Industrial/Commercial" are very desirable.

Of course, you know that snow engines have differences including no air filter, baffles to keep more heat around carb and governor linkage, large pull rope handles.... You can convert one to the other, but be aware.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is your chute control rod supported by a bracket to the cylinder head? Some Ariens built J-D units had this feature, it makes installing an ohv a bit more challenging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts