Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking hard about retiring my 10+ year old Yard Machine 5.5hp. I've been unimpressed by this unit even when it was new. It never seemed to throw the snow like it should have. I had neighbors with smaller units that did a better job. It did get the job done with an impeller kit so I kept it.

I live in Central OH around CBus so I don't get a ton of snow but I have a flat 100' asphalt driveway that is 4 cars wide by the garage and then narrows to 2 cars wide. I'd like to keep the budget to around $700 give or take. What is the best bang for the buck in that price range?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that but when I checked Craigslist everything was either beat up or $$$$ like a new unit.

A used 10hp. I will never buy new, everything is chinese motors now except Honda/Yamaha at $2k a piece

-efisher-

·
Registered
639 Posts
My buddy received a nice cub cadet, power steering, headlight, remote Shute control, but had a Chinese motor. Can't get parts from cub for it, and couldn't get it to run, half the motor needs to come apart to clean the carb. He gave to me, and I put a older tecumseh motor on it, 5hp to 8hp. Half inch bigger auger pulley and I hope it throws good, waiting on snow this season

-efisher-

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Greetings, at that price point I would definitively look at a new Toro 7hp dual stage or an Arien Snow Tek. The engine is chinese yes but from a reputable make. Throws snow very good. Buying a used one gives you a good chance you'll end up here for help unless you are good mechanically.

Good Luck

Norm

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yeah - that MTD looks like about new condition and it's a Tecumseh to boot. I agree - look for nice used ones. Granted you shoulda been looking 4 months ago, but I still see good buys on good machines. Just picked up an older MTD than the one above for $45 and all it needed was a good carb cleaning and a new scraper blade...... keep your eyes peeled for a nice Toro, Ariens, or Honda. Even if you have to find someone to do a little work on it your better off for that price range. I buy, fix, and sell units regularly and I prefer older ones over new stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts