Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this Ford F-250. I have always been a Silverado fan but they no longer offer the Extended cab they call it a double cab. I don't want a 4 door truck. that and the rear bumper just looks plain gaudy. so my question Ford still has the the front locking hubs with electronic shift on the fly. can I leave the front hubs locked even in 2 wheel drive???? here are some pics of it I built online. it is a F-250 Lariat 4x4 price is around $55,000

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yes you can leave them locked in. I did it a lot on my older 95 truck with lockouts....... I agree on you with the extended cab vs crew cabs. it's getting harder to find just extended. I prefer to have the bed - after all it's a truck right!

Also I have seen articles on guys who do away with the lockouts and convert the hubs.......

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Brother... with that kind o' cabbage I'd spend $5k on a nice old Hilux, and the leftover $50k to load it up and get out of the crackhood and into some wide open space.

Just driving it off the lot you'll piss $10k down the chitter...

It's a very nice truck, yes... but will it make for a very nice life? And for how long.

?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Brother... with that kind o' cabbage I'd spend $5k on a nice old Hilux, and the leftover $50k to load it up and get out of the crackhood and into some wide open space.

It's a very nice truck, yes... but will it make for a very nice life? And for how long.

?
Not to mention the taxes, here it would be over 4 grand, ouch. My boss has a new ford, is it nice, ya but 50 grand nice?

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

?
What in the name of ZEUS is a Hilux there BROTHER RONNIE???????

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Like this:

Guy calls it a Tacoma in the listing but it's actually a Hilux pickup, see description. A very nice one... reserve probably closer to $10k I'd guess. Worth it.

1987 Toyota Tacoma | eBay

My '94 Hilux Surf, do like. 4WD/3 liter Turbodiesel. That engine was unfortunately not offered on That Side, too bad because it's really good, much better than the V6 gas engines that went into the 4Runners there.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Todd, I agree with Ronin. A new vehicle is the poorest investment a person can make. It's been stated time and again that the best you can do is to purchase a 1 or 2 year old vehicle with low miles. Yeh, it's nice to have new and pretty and all that but that is some serious cabbage to lay out.
It's your $$ to do with what you want but you did ask. The only "new" car I ever owned is the Malibu sweet Bonny drives. It's a 2006 model and the only reason we bought it was at the time generous motors was offering 6 yrs @ 0% int. She is still driving it and probably will still be driving it 10 years from now.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
50k might get you out of the crackhood but will it be enough to get you a house in a location you want to be in? because of mom and henry ( mostly mom ) I live where I live. as for the truck I'm not at a plant where I would have more info

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just thinking about it for now. this time of year brings back memories of that Silverado I had 20 some odd years ago. and to this day I still kick myself for every letting it go. just to let youse guys know I would pay cash on the barrel for this 1 also.:yahoo: MAHALO for all your ideas on this 1.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Buying a new car/truck is definitely not a good investment.
Back in 2007 I bought a Tacoma for 33k, traded it for a 2007 Tundra just to find out that I "lost" 10K on the Tacoma by driving 8K miles in 5 months until the trade.
Fast forward 3 1/2 years sold the larger truck "loosing" ~$24K from the original cost (including the loss on the trade).
The only way I'd justify buying new is if you obviously have the extra money, or if you have a well established business and the truck is for its purpose.

Now I have a used 2005 F-250 4x4 that can carry and tow a lot more than the Tundra did (and I could also put a plow, blower, and/or a towing arm on the back) and only costed me $4500 .

By my own experience, buying those 2 new trucks were my worse two investments made.

And I've also read on various places (after I made those mistakes obviously :facepalm_zpsdj194qh) that buying a new car/truck is not an investment because it depreciates and it can happen very quick, specially the first few years.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you like your job or like to work, pull the trigger. The first 5 years of insurance, plates and sales tax on the purchase are costly.

Me, I've always bought used and saved the money for retirement. The truck I currently drive is a 2012, bought used with 41k miles. I figure I saved $20k on the truck when I purchased it over the original owner.

My previous truck a 93 bought with 40k miles I drove for 20 years. New is nice but not worth the price to me.

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you like your job or like to work, pull the trigger. The first 5 years of insurance, plates and sales tax on the purchase are costly.

Me, I've always bought used and saved the money for retirement. The truck I currently drive is a 2012, bought used with 41k miles. I figure I saved $20k on the truck when I purchased it over the original owner.

My previous truck a 93 bought with 40k miles I drove for 20 years. New is nice but not worth the price to me.
Our former Gov Jesse Ventura fixed the tabs to 99.00 after the first year. then after 10 years they would stay at rock bottom as always. but 1 of the first things that the BOZO after him did was raise them back to where they were before Ventura. and the present 1 after him is not any better.

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see your side of the subject at hand. but for me I just can not wrap my head around buying used. the GRAND SPORT was my late uncle's he bought that brand new in 1995. I have all the paper work on that. plus the $16,000 I spent to fix the dings and dents and repaint the whole car. along with new tires and some mechanical work on it. it only has 50,000 miles on it. I bought this brand new in 2000. it is a 2001 model Saturn what a piece of crap these cars were. thank the heavens above this company is RESTING IN PEACE!! now. they were a time bomb from the start the BCM'S were famous for crapping out at any time and that happened to me. just a couple of miles past the 36,000 mile mark. called Saturn told them about it there reponse was you are SOL!!!!! I sold that bloody thing as fast as I could. like I said looking back I wish I never would have gotten rid of that 1992 SILVERADO. I guess these new fords have a all aluminum body with the steel frame. so the body rusting out here in the salt capital of country would be a thing of the past. like I said I am just kicking this 1 around for now it gives me something to dream about here in the frozen tundra because come Friday into Saturday the weather monkeys are saying we got another hum-dinger of a storm coming our way.:tongue4::tongue4:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well you are not alone in the buying used department. Personal choice.

I hate giving money away and I have never bought a new vehicle. If you don't put your self into a situation where you have to have a vehicle immediately, (which I never do) I look until I find a clean one, low miles.
It's worked for me.
I've saved a lot of money over the years.

Put the money you save into something that pays a return.

This is my opinion but it's worked for me.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Consider this, Brother... things that are really Good don't diminish with age. Well cared for, they just get better. Look at those mid-80's~mid '90's 'Yota price tags, and compare. There's always value in quality.

Want you want, what you need... some fine balance there. I could have bought a new truck too. Instead I watched and waited for just the right one to come along. A year or so. Finally a 50k mile barely-broken-in gem, and at a good price too. I could sell it tomorrow for much more than I paid. No chance.

Things to think on...

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Every thing we do or buy in this life is 1 big crapshoot. I have heard people balk at the price of a funeral and caskets. but then they turn around and shoot the moon for their kids wedding. and in less than 2 years later those kids are now divorced and living back at home with them. so was that money well spent?? you do not have to buy the most expensive casket on the floor and you will remember the funeral for years to come. so was that a wise investment also?? they say the average wedding nowdays is around 20-25,000 dollars. the average divorce is 50,000. the average funeral is around 8-9,000 dollars. most are cheaper and some more expensive and Death is forever. so I guess everything we spend our money on is a crapshoot in this life time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts