Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My first post, wish it was a better situation but if it was I probably wouldn't be here!

So I bought a second hand blower in the summer, guy that sold it to me started it up first time, it ran like a charm. Now, in MN we've had that massive dump of snow and I pull it out. Can't get the **** thing to work.

So I've deduced that its a 10000 series, made before '73. Now I hear most of you saying "why don't you just look at the model number?" good question, the guy that sold it, in his infinite wisdom painted the whole thing. Everywhere. Over labels. EVERYTHING. Tonight I found that he even got spray on the spark plug!

So... it already had gas in it. But, I don't know if this thing is a 2 cycle or 4? I don't know if I've got the right spark plug for it. I'm guessing I probably need to change oil and clean the carb maybe? I got it running yesterday but then the revs would slow and it would cut out. Today, absolutely nothing.

I've tried googling everything but without knowing the model number i'm kind of screwed.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. I've checked I think scottsman (sorry if I spelled that wrong) and it looks like a bunch on there but i'm not sure which. I've included a pic.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
you could take some acetone or nail polish remover to the labels if they are still on the engine if you really care that much.

when i am troubleshooting an engine there is generally to things to look at. fuel and spark. if the machine has a primer button keep pressing it till you have fuel come out the carb, turn the choke on, throttle all the way up and pull it over. if it doesn't fire i would try pulling the plug and checking it to make sure it is clean and that you possibly have spark. sometimes when the cold weather hits plugs sometimes fail or quit working.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its 4 cycle no need to add oil to gas. Crankcase oil should be full but its not going to make it run or not run.

If gas has been in it since the summer drain the gas and add fresh fuel. If you have the ability remove the carb float bowl as there is a good chance there is some water and junk in there. If you have carb cleaner gently spray the carb and wipe out the bowl before putting it back. Careful to put the bowl back in the same orientation it came out. There's usually a detent that leaves room for the float to drop. Marl it w/ a sharpie if you have to.

Remove the spark plug and clean it up and put it back. Hopefully that helps get you going.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Also, often times on the back of the machine above the tag you will find the model and serial number stamped into the metal.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to SBF Matt

As mentioned above, it's a 4 cycle engine.

Lots of Ariens info here: https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page12.html

The engine is a replacement so that is what I'd try to see if you can get any numbers off of. The blower itself is easier as they didn't change much so Sscotsman can likely give you a model / serial that would work fine for looking up any parts for the snowblower itself minus engine. Sscotsman made the website the link above takes you to.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Matt,
welcome to the forum!

The engine is probably original, its a Tecumseh that fits the era.
the snowblower is a 1965, '66, '67 or '68 Ariens 10,000 series:

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page5.html

For the issue today (engine not running) the exact model of the snowblower is irrelevant..you have engine problems that apply to all snowblowers, ever. ;)
knowing the exact model number wont help, and is not necessary..
once its started and running, we can dig into the exact model and year, if you want to..

How long did it run before it quit?
Describe your start and run process, maybe we can find a step in the process that needs tweaking.

Scot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.

Sscotsman, it was running for maybe a couple minutes and then it quit, it would start back up and then the revs would die straight away. That was Monday, then last night it didn't show any signs of starting at all.

My start up sequence is open the screw valve underneath the fuel tank, open the choke lever so that it sticks out to the side (90 degrees to the left) then I press the primer button a few times. Make sure its in neutral and then start to pull the chord.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Drain the fuel out of it change the plug and take some carb cleaner to the carb and see what happens. sounds like a gummed up carb. ALOHA from the Paradise City.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Shut the fuel valve off and pull the main carb jet from the bottom of the carburetor.

Pull the bowl off, I'll bet there's some old gas in it.

Clean out the carb jet as shown here:

I remember my first winter with an Ariens 10000 series (I had two nearly identical ones at the time).

#1 wouldn't stay running so I had to switch to the backup. #1 was quickly fixed with a carb cleaning with just a carb jet cleaning after #2 took over the job.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
My start up sequence is open the screw valve underneath the fuel tank, open the choke lever so that it sticks out to the side (90 degrees to the left) then I press the primer button a few times. Make sure its in neutral and then start to pull the chord.
Did you move the choke lever to "no choke" after its started?

Scot

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
You dont have a primer! ;)
thats not a primer button, it doesnt squirt gas..
Thats an extra "cover" for the carb opening, meant to be pressed in if its really cold..
realistically, its not even needed.

My 1971 Ariens had it missing when I bought it:

I have never bothered to replace it, because it really serves no purpose, just closing the choke is good enough. and..im glad its missing! because I use the opening to squirt in some starter fluid if its really cold (15F (negative 10 C) or colder) that helps with starting more than the cover would.

When you tried to re-start it after it had running for awhile, where did you place the choke lever?
the choke can be tricky..starting "hot" is different than starting "sold"..

Scot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts