Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

got this snowblower for 20$ it has a briggs and Stratton 8hp engine. It had no spark so i removed the flywheel and cleaned the points and rewired everything. Now i get a shock when i touch the spark plug but still no visible spark and no luck when putting gasoline directly in the cylinder.

Should i replace the coil assembly?

As you can see points were dirty af

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I would abandon the points, and just put in electronic ignition.

Wonder if that plug is cracked , why you get shocked?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Replace the points with Nova II electronic ignition module. Easy, you just cut the wire going to the coil, twist.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I would also check all those wires good.

EDIT, I see you said that you replaced all the wires.
I missed that in your post.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes sorry i did try another known working plug.

Thanks for the suggestion i will probably do that. Do you know a good source for them in Canada?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
You do know that the coil has to be just the right distance from the flywheel when putting it back on?
You can use a non magnetic feeler gauge or just use a business card, that works works too, to close or too far away it won't fire.

Did you check the coil with a multimeter?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i gapped the coil .30 mm how many ohm's i should be getting on this type of coil

Sorry for the inconveniences i am talking about the nova 2 ignition system. I can find them here but with
50$ us for shipping seems quite excessive.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would abandon the points, and just put in electronic ignition.

Wonder if that plug is cracked , why you get shocked?
I second that, get rid of that old points coil, cut the wire going to the points and stick the modern coil on, its a direct swap. You'll have a more reliable engine as far as sparks concerned and never have to worry about the points or condensor again. However, I would like to know, what most likely went bad to give it a weak spark. A bad condenser?

·
Registered
442 Posts
i gapped the coil .30 mm how many ohm's i should be getting on this type of coil

Sorry for the inconveniences i am talking about the nova 2 ignition system. I can find them here but with
50$ us for shipping seems quite excessive.
Forget the Nova 2, just put an electronic ignition briggs coil on. Their are tons of them out their cheap. I have a Nova 2 I never used yet, but I hear those go bad just as much as points do. Just go with a Briggs coil and you'll be set a very long time. Its a Briggs swapping them is simple, if it was something else like a Tecumseh, I'd say yea go with the Nova, but the Briggs swap straight to the modern coil, thats the easiest most reliable upgrade.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Replace the points with Nova II electronic ignition module. Easy, you just cut the wire going to the coil, twist.
He can just stick a modern Briggs coil on and be done with it. Great thing about Briggs, the coils swap right over, he can probably find a good used modern briggs coil cheaper than the Nova 2 and its far more reliable. I have a bag of them myself, but for someone who doesn't, ebay 10-15 bucks, done deal. Even brand new they aren't very pricey. Great thing about the Briggs.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Briggs points to electronic ignition upgrade using modern electronic ignition coil.

Reactions: JFM88

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lose the point system, and install the electronic ignition. You bought the machine right, it just needs a little loving care. I personally love the older machines that have been gone through. The older machines had a ton more metal in them than the newer box store brands. Please don't abandon this Gem in the Rough.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Another interesting thing about that machine it has features the John Deere Snowblowers of that era had, same dash, basically same bucket, those were made by Ariens. So is that a rebadged, custom Ariens with another name on it. A youtuber Bruce Pender gad one a different color. Same thing, looked like a John Deere, which were made by Ariens. If so, you know its s good machine. Those Briggs flathead engines are really good.

·
Registered
423 Posts
wow thank you i didn't know much about Briggs engines this forum is very helpful!
Another thing about the Briggs engines-they've got more lballs (torque) then the Tecumseh's do and generally don't vibrate as much.I'm a big fan of the old Briggs flathead SB engines.I'd like to find one for $20.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I think that machine might have been made by Roper, although it has similarities to the John Deere built John Deeres of the 70's and 80's.

The Ariens built John Deeres were in the 90's.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your snowblower was fabricated by Noma who was bought by Murray ... who were in turn taken over by Briggs and Stratton.
I have a 1975 Baycrest snowblower which is the same model as yours. Canadiana blowers are also the same model. Look at the differential lock nut on the left side of the wheel. These can work very well.

Attached are parts diagrams, etc. for my Baycrest which could prove to be useful for you.

Font Art Pattern Drawing Line art Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Auto part Automotive wheel system Font Parallel Monochrome Line art Art Motor vehicle Font Auto part Drawing Engineering White Product Font Line Motor vehicle Font Line Rectangle Parallel Engineering Font Parallel Pattern Number Document

1 - 20 of 42 Posts