Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Your snowblower was fabricated by Noma who was bought by Murray ... who were in turn taken over by Briggs and Stratton.
I have a 1975 Baycrest snowblower which is the same model as yours. Canadiana blowers are also the same model. Look at the differential lock nut on the left side of the wheel. These can work very well.

Attached are parts diagrams, etc. for my Baycrest which could prove to be useful for you.

View attachment 178696 View attachment 178697 View attachment 178698 View attachment 178699 View attachment 178700 View attachment 178701 View attachment 178702
Thats what Bruce had, a Baycrest, yea they look kinda like the John Deeres as far as the buckets and handles/dash. Roper made quality products.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Your snowblower was fabricated by Noma who was bought by Murray ... who were in turn taken over by Briggs and Stratton.
I have a 1975 Baycrest snowblower which is the same model as yours. Canadiana blowers are also the same model. Look at the differential lock nut on the left side of the wheel. These can work very well.

Attached are parts diagrams, etc. for my Baycrest which could prove to be useful for you.

View attachment 178696 View attachment 178697 View attachment 178698 View attachment 178699 View attachment 178700 View attachment 178701 View attachment 178702
Winner winner chicken dinner!
Yes it's made by NOMA

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thank you guys for the information. I have been quite busy seeding for the past two weeks... i will be receiving the coil in a few weeks. i had not seen one snowblower like this before i just offered the guy 20$ when i saw it in his barn and i think it was a good deal.

It might need some repair in the drive system it doesn't seem to engage. Since this unit was in a barn it only has surface rust and is very solid.

To be continued...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thank you guys for the information. I have been quite busy seeding for the past two weeks... i will be receiving the coil in a few weeks. i had not seen one snowblower like this before i just offered the guy 20$ when i saw it in his barn and i think it was a good deal.

It might need some repair in the drive system it doesn't seem to engage. Since this unit was in a barn it only has surface rust and is very solid.

To be continued...
I have an extra axle/drive shaft assembly in case you need one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok so i have received the new coil. Installed it and got great spark. I took the carb appart and it was clean so i installed it back on and the thing fired right up and ran for 30 sec before i shut it down by unplugging the spark plug (it gave me a good shock lol) . It was running lean but i think it was because the carb seal is missing in one spot but that will be an easy fix.

After reinstalling the pull start and carb cover though, it stopped producing spark. Now i took everything back appart and I don't understand why it still has no spark. The gap is still good.
Maybe the new coil is defective? i didn't have my multimeter to test it. Any ideas?

After that i inspected the axle/ drive assembly and everything is greased up good. Good thing these machines had grease zurts everywhere. The friction disk is cracked but still very thick and should work, right now it doesn't make contact with the friction plate but that is an easy adjustment.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Sounds like you may have pinched the plug wire, or maybe dislocated the plug wire end connection pulling on it, or pinched the hot/ground out lead off the coil if so equipped.

If you had good spark, then pulled the plug and reinstalled items and now not working, evidently you did something to kill the spark .... Will have to back track with some detective work.

Btw, that friction disc is toast in my opinion ... Fwiw.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
When i reinstalled everything i plugged the kill switch wire but now i unplugged it and did not bring back spark. I will bring a brand new spark plug it might be fouled even though it looks fine. Anyway i still have to replace the gas line so that will give me time to think about that...

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Make sure the plug is properly gapped, usually .030"

I am still leaning to something grounding out, as you had good spark before you assembled everything back together.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I checked continuity and i have continuity between the coil itself and the kill wire post and so with the frame.

I have no continuity between the spark plug wire and the frame

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just got back to it. Everything works now with a new coil. Cleaned the carb now it runs perfect (burns a bit of oil hehe). adjusted the friction disk and it moves but sometimes it hits a bad spot and needs help to move. Tested the auger in some distillers grain and it blew it quite well even though it was some heavy stuff. tires were still inflated.

If I can't find a reasonably priced friction disk I'll go ahead and sell it as is but i could get better price with it in perfect working condition.

I also noticed the gearbox on the axle had loose bolts. I don't know what's up with that i tightened them back up.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Confirm your measurements of the old disc and get a replacement, the one on that machine is beyond trashed.

This Canadian supplier has several different disc sizes listed

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
od is 6"
id is 1 1/8
so replacement is 05080ap from mtd
thanks for your help
That friction wheel is so worn out, I would think the friction plate would be messed up too?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts