Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Whoa, that things a contraption.

That might be the first interation of a full engine enclosure on a small walk behind snowblower. Beat Yamaha to the punch by 40 years.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Whoa, that things a contraption.

That might be the first interation of a full engine enclosure on a small walk behind snowblower. Beat Yamaha to the punch by 40 years.
Probably not the first...im not sure of the model year on that Bobcat, but I would guess its from the 70's..Snowbird was doing engine enclosures starting about 1960:

Although if anyone can figure out the year on that Bobcat, we would love to know!

Scot

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I've come to believe this was part of a later option package... I strongly suspect that it was only used on the late-70's/early 80's Tecumseh-powered Bob-caTs with "cab enclosure". I have come across these a couple times & both were of the same vintage as this machine. Notice this one has the pre-deadman lever impeller clutch drive setup, the stupid 74/75-up stick lever shifter, the heavy Tecumseh electric start plug end, and the Tecumseh fuel tank.. late 70's/early 80's timeframe.

Bob-cat offered a cab enclosure option/pkg for much of the 60's/70's and maybe early-80's before they were sold off. I have seen that housing a few times and never could attribute it to any specific model. It almost makes no sense... shrouding an air-cooled engine is risky and snowmelt isnt going to harm the engine... if anything, it helps keep hotspots in the head cooler. A snowblower's electric starter is usually a hardy, stand alone item... Also notice there appears to be two mounting points on the top of the housing and there seems to be no reason for the box thing on the side of the housing... The only thing that makes sense to me would be an attractive selling point for expensive cab enclosure. It would provide better cab enclosure mounting points than the original version and provide much better leg shielding... notice that it also directs the engine's heat towards the operator and looking at the way the electric start plug is sitting there, it would make sense for it to point rearward if it was enclosed.

I have never seen a complete enclosure, outside of a late 60's advertisement and some of the owner's manual pictures. I did miss out on the an NOS enclosure (edit: original style) .. it was missing the aluminum mounts and framework... hindsight... DOH!

Reactions: thestonecarver
1 - 4 of 4 Posts