Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ALL!!!!! Thanks for having a forum to help us all. I should have known there was a forum for just about anything nowadays.

I was driving to my mothers house when I saw what looked like a 2stage snowblower at the curb as trash. I drove to my mothers house and asked her to help me pick up the snowblower and load it into my Prius. It was not an easy task or easy fit but we made it work

It was an older model Ariens. I have a single stage Toro that I love but always wanted a 2 stage snowblower and this one ended up in my garage. I was so excited that I immediately started to tinker around. I found this website that gave me some juicy details on my find:

I found out I have a 1976/1977 20inch 5HP model with electric start
Model Number 922020, serial number 013752
Snowthrower model 922024, serial number 022000

I immediately replaced the original engine oil with synthetic 5w30 and replaced the spark plug, the fuel was minimal and had some sediment but all I could do at the time was add some fresh gas and make a wish it would fire up. I pulled the choke back and gave it a big pull. The unit barely made a whimper and went back to being lifeless. I tried about 5 times but no dice. I then plugged the unit in and tried to turn it on. I pushed the button and I heard more signs of life. On the 3rd push of the electric start button it was slowly whimpering to life. I played with the choke while pushing the electric start button and got it working in about 15 minutes of my first attempt!!!!!!

I was SO HAPPY!!! I always wanted a compliment to my single stage and finally have it in my possession nearly for free. I have been working on cleaning it and getting it running as optimally as possible. I am blown away that something so old (now my oldest piece of lawn and garden equipment) was built so well and had advanced features like electric start. Something that about 44years old still has an engine that runs, SO COOL!!!! It has some loose parts like the "Engage Interlock Lever" that doesn't work but that appears to be things I can fix. One of the tires is flat so I'm trying to replace both but having some difficulty getting the wheels off. Again things that will take some finagling but I'm happy to do because I see the value in the equipment. I haven't got the auger to engage just yet but I think it has something to do with the loose interlock lever that needs to be fixed/adjusted. When I pull the lever on the right handle it just moves back and forth but doesn't seem connected at the attachment point near the base of the right handle. I was able to find the owners manual but it doesn't give much info regarding adjusting and repair.

I clicked the link for the "parts and repair manual" but it is a dead link.
I was wondering if someone had downloaded it before and had it to share? Any help would be appreciated in advance

I am currently working on removing the stubborn wheels and replacing them with 2 new Harbor Freight wheels. I have also recently removed the gas tank and thoroughly cleaned it out and removed the sediment I mentioned before. I was happy surprised to see a screened mesh filter that was keeping all of the old gas and gunk inside the tank and away from my engine. I dried it and replaced back on the machine very easily and put 4cycle TruFuel inside.

Anyway long post but just wanted to say "HI" to everyone and thanks for the add to the forum. I look forward to interacting with my new community and hope to share some cool snow-blowing stories in the future!!!

Have a great day and rest of the week everyone!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome!

Lot of others on here have Ariens and some have that exact same model.

You'll be surprised how well it works, when....!!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
That looks like a great find. Reminds me of my dad’s old 70’s Gilson. They were built nice and heavy back then. You can try this if it is stubborn starting. Get some Seafoam and spray a bit right into the fuel tank. Then spray that and WD-40 into the carb and start it up it and it will smoke a bit but that will clean things up good. I use this trick to start up old small engines. The WD works like starter fluid but it is a lubricant so it is not hard on the piston rings if the engine has sat for a long time. Usually does the trick. Good luck with your new to you Ariens.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Welcome to SBF
Great find. I can tel! You're pretty stoked. Enjoy your new toy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts