Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just purchased a new 28 Deluxe from Home Depot and assembled last night.
It has a lot of issues, but probably all related. When started, with both handles out (not squeezed),
the auger turns and the wheels rotate. I can't stop it other than turning it off. Also, I can't
switch gears. With engine off I can't roll it (it locks). I'm guessing the cable tension is too high, causing it
to always be in gear, but I've tried loosining the cables
to no avail.

Any ideas? Is this normal to come so far out of whack adjustment wise?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
So you read the manual and built and adjusted it following it's procedure, or ? ? ?

Sounds more like incorrect assembly from here . . . .

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hey,

I just purchased a new 28 Deluxe from Home Depot and assembled last night.
It has a lot of issues, but probably all related. When started, with both handles out (not squeezed),
the auger turns and the wheels rotate. I can't stop it other than turning it off. Also, I can't
switch gears. With engine off I can't roll it (it locks). I'm guessing the cable tension is too high, causing it
to always be in gear, but I've tried loosining the cables
to no avail.

Any ideas? Is this normal to come so far out of whack adjustment wise?

Thanks!
No it's not normal, and because it's happening to both the auger and traction after you adjusted then the odds are you are not properly adjusting them. You might be tightening the cables by mistake or misinterpreting the instructions.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
As mentioned above, did you not read the manual before assembly, and also remove any and all packing material.

Your drive is engaged along with the impeller auger system.

Re-read the setup instructions, and start over the steps in assembly.

If that does not correct your situation, then have a relative or friend come over who has some mechanical ability and hands on know how, and have them look at it in person. Without seeing the unit in person and seeing how all the elements are put together with each other, real hard to spot the problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I read the manual (if reading is the right word). Yes all packing supplies were removed. The thing that is odd
to me is there really aren't any adjustments to make upon assembly when it comes down to the handle. It came folded in half, so you remove bolts, straighten, put bolts back in, and your are done.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and my wife is a mechanical engineer... Was hoping it is something subtle like a
shipping nut that needs to be taken out.

Thanks,

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes, I read the manual (if reading is the right word). Yes all packing supplies were removed. The thing that is odd
to me is there really aren't any adjustments to make upon assembly when it comes down to the handle. It came folded in half, so you remove bolts, straighten, put bolts back in, and your are done.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and my wife is a mechanical engineer... Was hoping it is something subtle like a
shipping nut that needs to be taken out.

Thanks,
Sounds like the drive clutch and auger clutch are engaged. So perhaps the handlebars are not in the correct position relative to the cables. The cables should run in a straight line to the chassis mounting points. Perhaps they got caught up somewhere and applying tension to both clutches.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Work on one system at a time. First take a look at page 20 of your manual. That is the traction drive adjustment. Take off your belt cover and verify that "With traction clutch disengaged, check that the drive plate touches the stop bolt."
See Figure 32 and make sure that the drive plate is against the stop bolt. If when the traction lever is released the plate is not touching the stop bolt then an adjustment is needed. That's pretty easy to verify so I would start there and adjust the cable so that the drive plate does touch the stop bolt. Then that should fix the traction. After that is done we can move on to the auger.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Sounds like the drive clutch and auger clutch are engaged. So perhaps the handlebars are not in the correct position relative to the cables. The cables should run in a straight line to the chassis mounting points. Perhaps they got caught up somewhere and applying tension to both clutches.
Good point! This should definitely be checked ASAP!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I bet it is something like this since both cables being too tight would explain all the
issues. But I really can't figure out how to adjust the handlebars. There doesn't seem to be any degrees of freedom to allow any kind of pivot of the handlebars. Two bolts each side that go into the chassis sets the angle, and I don't see any way to adjust/pivot at the handlebar upper assembly. But it has to be related to this. My bars are not parallel to the ground where I grip them. In addition, the long rod that goes from the upper assembly to the gearing to turn the snow directional output appears too long. I can't get the pin holes to line up. So either it came with the wrong rod or this is yet another indication the bars are not adjusted correctly. But how do you adjust them?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m sure if you post a few good pics someone will be able to figure out what’s up with it. Congrats on the new machine and Much luck

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I bet it is something like this since both cables being too tight would explain all the
issues. But I really can't figure out how to adjust the handlebars. There doesn't seem to be any degrees of freedom to allow any kind of pivot of the handlebars. Two bolts each side that go into the chassis sets the angle, and I don't see any way to adjust/pivot at the handlebar upper assembly. But it has to be related to this. My bars are not parallel to the ground where I grip them. In addition, the long rod that goes from the upper assembly to the gearing to turn the snow directional output appears too long. I can't get the pin holes to line up. So either it came with the wrong rod or this is yet another indication the bars are not adjusted correctly. But how do you adjust them?
There is no adjustment for the handlebars. What I would do to help you get the holes lined up for your spring clip holding your chute rotation rod in, is loosen up the nuts and bolts on your upper handle where you bolted it together with the lower handle. That should give you enough free play to get your chute rotation bar installed.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Also if the skids are adjusted with lots of clearance that can give the appearance that your handles are not parallel to the ground. That and the air pressure in your tires.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
OMG! that's way off!!! A little hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the chute is installed correctly but it looks like you might have the chute rod from a Deluxe 28 SHO or Deluxe 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Crap Batman.
At this point either start over by returning this to Home Depot or contacting a servicing dealer. Me I'm heading down to Home Depot ASAP for and exchange, return or whatever.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
What's weird is that it seems that if the handlebars were lowered to parallel with the ground that it might be enough to secure the rod properly. But really the lower handlebar bracket just bolts to the frame and then you bolt the upper on that, very weird......................

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The angle of the clutch levers is different to my machine. It appears both clutches are applied. Attached is a pic of my clutch handle positions.
Mine on my Pro 28 look the same as your's. Strange how the chute rod is not even close to fitting.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I'm no Ariens pro, but it appears your handlebars were bent in shipping right where they attach to the body. I think that should be straight for maximum strength. And this would explain all your problems including the gearbox problem.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts