Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ahhhhh, thx.......same yr/model as mine. Think @liftoff1967 is a tad bit newer (note the hand warmer switch difference), curious about his battery connect too!!

Very sexy machine BTW, you're going to love running it, it's sexy AND runs soooo nice.

4 quick check items?

1) The push spring on the deflector mech might wear off the paint where it rubs as the deflector passes by it moving up/down.(Clear automotive protective tape)
2) The Ariens emblem/logo on the belt cover isn't hanging on by a thread(RTV)
3) The battery connector conductors aren't flaky(Re- connector'ize it)
4) The neighbors notice and are pointing because the metal inserts in the poly skids aren't orange(Ariens orange spray can paint)

·
Registered
1981 Canadian tire “mastercraft” made by MTD with tecumseh engine HM-80 1155334N
434 Posts
Is that an oil full plug I see near the bottom of the engine, below the electric starter? Or some thing thing else?

thought oil went down the dipstick tube?

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Is that an oil full plug I see near the bottom of the engine, below the electric starter?
Yup. They're there on each side on LCT engines in addition to the top oil fill with dipstick. Remnants of alternate uses... All Honda clones have them. That Ariens engine has the top oil fill in the alternate location near the muffler.

LCT 369cc Carbureted Engine
Product Automotive wheel system Machine Font Auto part

Ariens 369cc EFI Engine
Automotive lighting Font Auto part Machine Electronic device

·
Registered
1981 Canadian tire “mastercraft” made by MTD with tecumseh engine HM-80 1155334N
434 Posts
Yup. They're there on each side on LCT engines in addition to the top oil fill with dipstick. Remnants of alternate uses... All Honda clones have them. That Ariens engine has the top oil fill in the alternate location near the muffler.

LCT 369cc Carbureted Engine
View attachment 199662

Ariens 369cc EFI Engine
View attachment 199663
learning something new every day. Do you think the different di stick locations have something to do with one engine having the governor? Trying to think why an almost identical engine has a slightly different lay out.

I can’t recall…. Are you a fan of EFI?

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Do you think the different di stick locations have something to do with one engine having the governor? Trying to think why an almost identical engine has a slightly different lay out.
Don't overthink it, I think it's just the way Ariens ordered the engines from LCT. They must feel it's a better location for some reason (easier pouring?). It does tuck in nicely between the tank and the muffler, and just required a different crankcase cover casting. Also, the LCT dipstick location would not have worked with that Ariens plastic tank. Note that Honda gets along OK with just the two lower oil ports, but I do appreciate the ease of pouring into those upper ports. One thing that's great about the lower ports is that if you leave one open during filling, it's impossible to overfill the oil (the max level is at the bottom lip of the port). That top port is plugged on the LCT 414cc MAXX engine on my generator, of course, because the large fuel tank blocks that area.
I can’t recall…. Are you a fan of EFI?
I certainly am on the Honda EU7000is generator, although it is not without some issues in that application either. Once it trickles down into more small engines, these teething issues will likely disappear. It is the future of small engines, since it's really the only way to pass more stringent emission standards.

Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
434 Posts
Don't overthink it, I think it's just the way Ariens ordered the engines from LCT. They must feel it's a better location for some reason (easier pouring?). It does tuck in nicely between the tank and the muffler, and just required a different crankcase cover casting. Also, the LCT dipstick location would not have worked with that Ariens plastic tank. Note that Honda gets along OK with just the two lower oil ports, but I do appreciate the ease of pouring into those upper ports. One thing that's great about the lower ports is that if you leave one open during filling, it's impossible to overfill the oil (the max level is at the bottom lip of the port). That top port is plugged on the LCT 414cc MAXX engine on my generator, of course, because the large fuel tank blocks that area.

I certainly am on the Honda EU7000is generator, although it is not without some issues in that application either. Once it trickles down into more small engines, these teething issues will likely disappear. It is the future of small engines, since it's really the only way to pass more stringent emission standards.
not really overthinking, was just curious. Always wanting to know the “why”. Just thought maybe,there was some technical reason for the dipstick placement.

are the gas tanks different materials? Thought they were all metal.

What is the issue with the 7000? We have a Honda 2000. Love it although the side fill is a bit of a pain.
I like the idea of having the plug open as an overfill safety.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
not really overthinking, was just curious. Always wanting to know the “why”. Just thought maybe,there was some technical reason for the dipstick placement.

are the gas tanks different materials? Thought they were all metal.

What is the issue with the 7000? We have a Honda 2000. Love it although the side fill is a bit of a pain.
I like the idea of having the plug open as an overfill safety.
Ariens gas tanks have been made of metal for a very long time. My 2015 Platinum has a metal gas tank, and before that too. If you buy a new Platinum then it will have a metal gas tank.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ariens gas tanks have been made of metal for a very long time. My 2015 Platinum has a metal gas tank, and before that too. If you buy a new Platinum then it will have a metal gas tank.
Any thoughts why they went metal? My mower and blower are plastic, and very old. No rust. I,don’t know if metal is good or bad?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Any thoughts why they went metal? My mower and blower are plastic, and very old. No rust. I,don’t know if metal is good or bad?
As far as I know there has always been metal and plastic gas tanks. The steel material of today is not likely to be the same as the old rusty tanks of years gone by. On the older side valve and vertical cylinder ohv engines the gas tank was a bolt on beside the engine. My limited experience with a few plastic tanks is that they work fine but can suffer from stress cracks and leak.

Steel gas tanks seem almost universal now with the slanted cylinder design engines. The gas tank is mounted over the crankcase and with additional shielding serves to help route heat from the outside of the muffler to the carb and protect the governor from snow and ice. I would suspect that metal is a better material for this location since it is thinner and reinforced at places subject to loads. A leaking tank mounted over the engine and close to the exhaust would be a big problem.

A metal gas tank would be my choice if there were a plastic alternative.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts