Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

If the auger propels it with authority this could be pretty neat.

I wonder if they changed the gear ratio in the auger gear box so it spins faster like an auger-propelled SS?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not a totally new idea. Ariens has this model a few years ago. My neighbor has one of these older machines. Basically a 2 stage snowblower with rubber lined auger, with free wheeling bicycle wheels. It is a neither a good single stage or a good 2-stage machine. Clumsy single stage, anemic 2 stage. Crossover is like a light duty SUV. I think the Toro Snowmaster is probably a better implementation. Ariens marketing is probably a bit optimistic.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just dont feel it. Stick to even a small traditional propelled design. You'll be thankful when it unexpectedly gets deep.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just dont feel it. Stick to even a small traditional propelled design. You'll be thankful when it unexpectedly gets deep.
every older version of the 932000 crossover that I've tried, does surprisingly well in deep snow up over the top and
EOD berms plus they have none of the drawbacks of the 932000 funky shifting- diskomat design as the forward drive is auger propelled and reverse is true freewheel with zero drag.

If you want a snow clearing experience that is close to a front drive propelled lawnmowing experience then this would be the model for that type of homeowner.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The older version being referred to, is that the 2+2? Or maybe it was called ST 2+2?

This one is interesting, I guess. I trust Ariens, I hope it will be awesome. But I'm curious, I guess, maybe more so than skeptical.

I'm going to assume it's the same auger gearing, so spinning at a normal 2-stage RPM. Except with rubber contact surfaces, to help pull you forward.

Unlike the Snow Master, this one does not have self-propelled wheels. But also unlike the Snow Master, this one seems to have rubber on the entire auger surfaces, I believe the SM only has rubber at the center.

But with the extra torque to the augers, maybe it will do a better job with the EOD than a typical single-stage, or than the SM. I really like my single-stage, but it doesn't have the torque to chew through heavier EOD, the 141cc 2-stroke will bog down. Geared-down 2-stage style augers ought to help with that.

The engine in this seems a bit small, though, IMO, at 179cc. Toro's 721 is 212cc, the 821 is 252cc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I guess this new model will bite the snow berm better than a single stage, but it still need to be shoved into the berm to take a bite. Looks like the bicycle wheels are not driven, so the user will have to tip the bucket down to get any forward pull.

Maybe Ariens have found the right blend in the sauce this time. There are 8 variations to try. I think this is the 3rd try. Hopefully, they can be successful like WD-40.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The older version being referred to, is that the 2+2? Or maybe it was called ST 2+2?932500

This one is interesting, I guess. I trust Ariens, I hope it will be awesome. But I'm curious, I guess, maybe more so than skeptical.

I'm going to assume it's the same auger gearing, so spinning at a normal 2-stage RPM. Except with rubber contact surfaces, to help pull you forward.

Unlike the Snow Master, this one does not have self-propelled wheels. But also unlike the Snow Master, this one seems to have rubber on the entire auger surfaces, I believe the SM only has rubber at the center.

But with the extra torque to the augers, maybe it will do a better job with the EOD than a typical single-stage, or than the SM. I really like my single-stage, but it doesn't have the torque to chew through heavier EOD, the 141cc 2-stroke will bog down. Geared-down 2-stage style augers ought to help with that.

The engine in this seems a bit small, though, IMO, at 179cc. Toro's 721 is 212cc, the 821 is 252cc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts