Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Pro 28 for a month now, and I've noticed that it throws a jet of snow forward from the upper left of the auger housing. Depending on the wind direction, this results in ridges of snow on the driveway that have to be cleaned up on a second pass. I've noticed that You-Tube videos of others' snowblowers show other recently made Ariens models doing the same thing. This is clearly a design flaw in the auger as other brands of snowblowers don't do this. I contacted the Ariens company and they sent me a baffle that bolts into carriage-bolt holes which had been pre-drilled at the factory. That and the fact that the accompanying instructions show a copyright date of 2005, indicate that this is a problem which has been known for some time. The baffle reduces but does not eliminate the problem.

Has anyone on the forum besides me dealt with this issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The snowblowers in the Ariens promotional videos are doing this also. It doesn't seem likely that all of them have the left auger on backwards.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Hi Bob

Would it be possible you post a picture of what they sent you? Did they offer to have a dealer pic up the unit. correct the problem, and return it with a sincere apology? Or was that not an option Ariens offered?

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Possible Auger Rakes issues

Bob

If you take a look at the picture I've attached, this has the correct auger rakes on it oriented correctly. When the auger is turning, it pulls the snow to the center of the auger housing so that it can be picked up by the inpeller and thrown out the chute. If an auger is reversed or two of the wrong ones then the snow is not pulled to the center, rather it's pushed to the outside.
Compare yours and see if generally it looks the same.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Laker,

The video you attached is one example, and there are others. There are also examples from individual Ariens owners on Youtube. As I mentioned, this seems to be an issue that has been known to the company for several years as they have a baffle attachment to address the problem. Attached is a photo of my snowblower.
IMG_0132.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woodtick, the photo I attached in the message I just sent shows the baffle that Ariens sent in place. HCBPH, as far as I can tell, my auger and yours appear to be mounted in the same direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looked to me that the augers were on the right way. I am curious as to what it is about the auger design that causes it to throw snow to the left. It sounds like the vast majority of Ariens owners aren't bothered by it, don't pay any attention to it, and for the ones like me who do, the company sends them a baffle to keep them quiet. I guess it's easier to do that than to retool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it is the impeller that is forcing the snow up and over the auger and making it come out on the left side...the impeller is spinning so fast its push into up on the snow on the left side of the snowblower...Watch the video...as the impeller is spinning around( its spins counter clock wise to force the snow up)...and that where the snow is being pushed up on the left side.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a new Pro 32 and it also does it, but it doesn't bother me as we have a gravel driveway so it's never 100% free of snow anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gixxer, your explanation makes perfect sense to me, looking at the videos again. It explains why only the recent model Ariens snowblowers do this. It also explains why the company has chosen to deal with the issue the way it has--it's basically a tradeoff for the impressive performance it delivers. The baffle they sent me has taken care of most of the problem, and the rest of it isn't worth worrying about.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Good to hear you have a solution that works for you. How about a picture for those that haven't gotten that barrle for anyone that needs one that didn't get one from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HCBPH, The baffle that Ariens sent me is shown mounted in the photo I posted in this thread on 2/23.
Bob

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just got done online "chatting" with Ariens and they are also sending me a baffle...lol Figured why not, it won't hurt anything. If anything it will just add more needed weight to the front end, as I already have two weight bars in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are a number of examples on YouTube. I wonder how many are out there who just decided to put up with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got my baffle, but it is the wrong one. It doesnt fit either way, I mucked with it for a half hour. Im not gonna bother with it- let it fling some snow forward. I have bigger fish to fry in life. lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just got my baffle, but it is the wrong one. It doesnt fit either way, I mucked with it for a half hour. Im not gonna bother with it- let it fling some snow forward. I have bigger fish to fry in life. lol
That's wierd.....I got mine yesterday and it fits great! What blower do you have? -HERE- are the only choices I'm aware of for the kit.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts