Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used my brand new ariens today for the 2nd time and at most times it couldn't throw the snow more 6ft from the unit. Yesterday it seemed to work great.

Very disappointed in this. A $2000. unit failing on the 2nd use, also reverse seems very slow. My neighbors 8HP unit could go faster and throw further.

Feel like money wasted. Need to called the shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are you located?
Is the snow now wet vs dry before?

No snow blower throws wet snow good.
It was wet yesterday and was throwing 30-40ft easy. Today is about 4in of fluff.

It's starts to throw then dies out to like 3-4ft from the unit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It was wet yesterday and was throwing 30-40ft easy. Today is about 4in of fluff.

I would be amazed to see any snowblower throw wet snow 30-40 feet.
If the snow is drier now and it's barely throwing it something must have changed.

Does the engine sound the same? Is a belt or something slipping? Who assembled the unit?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts

That very odd. Is the impeller housing iced up from the wet heavy snow? I'm sure you allready looked at that, but just tossing out idea's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's hard to tell if the engine sounds different since it's the 2nd time using it.

The first time I used there was some wet snow and this thing threw far, I was amazed at the power, so something did change.

I could tighten the belt myself, especially when we have a "historic" storm coming tomorrow upwards of 2ft. I just never taken this one apart. I have worked on my older one alot.

I thought is might be iced up, but figured after running it for a half an hour it would have cleared up.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Did ya put your eye balls in the bucket and see if it is iced up?

Here in MN we bounce back and forth between wet and dry snow. I have never had anything ice up on my Ariens blowers (non heated garage). My MTD however always iced up.

Just tossing out more things here, did you blow a shear pin? Rather doubt that would effect the throwing distance however.

Maybe pop off your belt guard cover. See if you have allot of belt dust. Maybe something got misaligned on the assembly line. I have head of that happening and belts get shredded.

I know I'm not much "right now" help with you looking down the barrel of a large snow fall.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I moved it to my garage and turned on the heat. Hopefully that helps. I'll pop the cover off and check also. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Something I've sen people miss on the Ariens snow blowers. The choke knob is red. Around the choke knob is a circle of grey. That's the throttle. I've seen people adjust the choke and by mistake adjust the throttle to idle without realizing it, especially when wearing gloves.
Hope this helps
Johnny_W

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Something I've sen people miss on the Ariens snow blowers. The choke knob is red. Around the choke knob is a circle of grey. That's the throttle. I've seen people adjust the choke and by mistake adjust the throttle to idle without realizing it, especially when wearing gloves.
Hope this helps
Johnny_W
Agree'd. That is one mickey mouse design if there ever was one!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hope this helps
Johnny_W
Agree'd. That is one mickey mouse design if there ever was one!
How could someone not notice an engine idling @ 1500 rpm instead of running at 3200-3600 rpm!?

·
Registered
36 Posts
He said so himself. I'm just throwing out ideas trying to help.
It's hard to tell if the engine sounds different since it's the 2nd time using it.

The first time I used there was some wet snow and this thing threw far, I was amazed at the power, so something did change.

I could tighten the belt myself, especially when we have a "historic" storm coming tomorrow upwards of 2ft. I just never taken this one apart. I have worked on my older one alot.

I thought is might be iced up, but figured after running it for a half an hour it would have cleared up.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hope this helps
Johnny_W
+1
There's a guy on our Husqvarna "Answer Army" site asking how to adjust
the choke/throttle control knobs that posted yesterday. He says the knobs
and manual are confusing. They must be using the same setup on their engines.
When I look at the photo he posted it's exactly as you described.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Online the choke is a knob and throttle is a lever that sits about 2ins below. Those were the first I checked. But will definitely check again. Thanks

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Doesn't Ariens have a specific belt break in period suggested before blowing snow, then adjusted? Was this done? From your description my first thoughts would be the auger drive belt/belts stretched and need the adjustment done. Did you notice if the auger engagement handle felt "softer" the second time? Hard to guess with only 2 runs. My newest 2 stage was an '89 so I'm going from reading knowledge here, not hands on;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's hard to tell if it feels different. It was never hard to engage it. Seems like a belt issue the way it throws good for a second or 2 then it just pours out of the chute.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts