Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I like the speed for transportation mode.
But it looks like somebody just made that because of 3 reasons:
1. If you notice the auger housing always goes down because it is not correctly balanced, the pivot point is now on the drive axle vs on the front idler on the original design making it nose heavy.
2. Because of the increase on the diameter of the drive wheel it would have a hard time at deep snow/EOD because you won't be able to have 1st gear (unless it has a hydro tranny), unless the user is one of the many that does not properly adjust the ground speed to the depth or density of the snow (I've seen some snowblower user that use the blower on top gear regardless of the snow and the wheels are slipping almost all the time).
3. Because of the larger drive wheel it now seems to have less ground contact, loosing traction (by watching the video the operator of the fast speed unit has to always keep the auger housing raised by pushing down on the handles while the other one cruises along with the auger housing raised, at the end of the video you can see how the rear part of the tracks is raised when he parks the blower.

I just realized that Ariens actually offers that system, but my previous comment is what I think.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Track contact patch is adjustable...

"The small wheel on the back of the track system can be moved up to provide a "wheel" drive, giving you the ability to switch between full traction and partial traction. The big wheel track is a perfect upgrade from your typical snowblower."

Ariens Professional RapidTrak 28" 420cc Track Drive Snow Blower SnowBlowersAtJacks

You can use it as track or wheel, I like that feature (this confirms that it is not balanced as a typical track unit). I guess I'll need to wait and watch a few videos of it in use to see how it works.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hmmm.... Wow! Quick, maneuverable traks, powerful 420cc B&S, hydro. Once I see it in the snow then this could be my next blower!!!! Kudos for Ariens for coming up with what looks like an awesome, powerful trak machine.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Well because of us on TSF, the backorder date on Snow Blowers Direct has gone from September 19th to October 19th. So if you want one you'd better put away the mower and pre-order one STAT! BTW I watched the video again and the gas tank looks massive so maybe I could just fill it "once per season" LOL. What am I going to need my vintage fuel can collection for anymore?? Maybe I should start a new thread, "show us your vintage gas cans".

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That makes it a 1.55862 gallon tank. Based on the last two winters I'd have to do one refill. Sheech Ariens come on, it will be an inconvenience but I guess one refill is ok.
until the day it becomes an integral part of the chassis the fuel tank size is determined by the engine manufacturer.

maybe Ariens could specify bigger fuel tanks for the engines they buy.

But this would probably add lots of manufacturing complexity/cost for the engine co though

its all about compromise

·
Registered
184 Posts
This looks like a huge improvement over the previous track design. I have last year's Hydro Pro Track 28 and it is terrible to maneuver.

Does anyone know if I can retrofit these tracks on my machine? I don't see why I wouldn't be able to, as long as Ariens will sell them separately.

I want these badly. I was ready to sell my machine and buy something else instead, it's such a pain to use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just took delivery of the Rapid Trak 28 Hydro Pro.

It is a breeze to move around on dry pavement with the engine not running. This is my first snow blower, however two 300 foot 20% grade driveways are also a first.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Wow, what an interesting design. Looking at a few pictures and promotional videos, it does seems to effectively stagger the lines of track vs wheel. Definitely a big improvement over the outgoing design.

The picture of the track adjustment mechanism shows only a few locking positions. But it looks very robust.
https://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-products/snow-blowers/rapidtrak

Cool design.

Looking forward to some videos of this thing in action. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just took delivery of the Rapid Trak 28 Hydro Pro.

It is a breeze to move around on dry pavement with the engine not running. This is my first snow blower, however two 300 foot 20% grade driveways are also a first.
Congrats!

Dont be shy posting some close-ups pics or a video!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey crstrode, that's a real nice machine you have. I just got my new Hydro Pro 28, I preferred to go with v bar chains and tires instead of tracks, due to we get alot of ice sometimes. Good luck, hope the new track design works well for you, keep us updated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Ariens new track design is a really neat innovation. Its refreshing to see new clever ideas.

I imagine that the machine would spend most of its time in wheel mode. I wonder how the track in wheel mode stacks up against a pneumatic snow tire

I guess I just really want to try the new design out for myself. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too just picked up one of the 28" versions. I had a chance to try it out this weekend. It really is easy to maneuver when in wheel mode. I really like the flexibility of quickly switching from wheel mode to track mode. We only had about an inch of snow, so this was not a fair test of its capabilities, but I did notice that it was a bit light on the front when going up hill when in wheel mode. Of course, no problem in track mode. I'll probably add a weight kit to mine. Looking forward to testing it later in the season when we get more snow here in Michigan.

Greg

1 - 20 of 65 Posts