Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just purchased my first snowblower. It is an Arien compact 22-inch snowblower, model number 920012. It has a 208 cc Arien engine. I just used it for the first time yesterday when we got a foot of snow in NY. It was an experience to say the least. I started to get the hang of it after awhile, but I guess it will take some getting used to. I needed the small size as I don't have a lot of space in my garage to store it during the winter.

I hope with time, I will not be so intimidated by the machine. I am more concerned about when things need to be replaced/fixed.

I also was wondering if anyone has any references to videos that demonstrate how to due general maintenance etc. It is just that for me to get anything done, I will have to pay the local repair center to come and pick up the blower etc.

Also, does anyone know where on this site I could find someone who works on snowblowers in the NY Metro area that might come to the house?

Thanks in advance, and hello to one and all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well first of congrats on your first snowblower.
Next if you can turn a wrench you can fix it your self.
Just get the srevice and owners manual and read the whole thing and you sound smart enough to understand how to repair it and you should be good to go, it is very easy and with the help of this forum you will never have to go to the service shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the encouragement. This site is really wonderful. I am sure I will be on it a great deal as I live with, and learn about my snow blower.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They're not that hard to work on, if you're mechanically inclined. Or you can just figure out how it works. You-tube and sites like this are great. My advice is, be careful where you blow... be aware of NEWSPAPERS and STAIRS. Those are snowblower killers. They're crack parts and cause replacement. I don't speak from experience, just family members and neighbors. I'm more careful than most... and I'll kill the delivery person if he or she ever throws a news paper on the driveway on a snowy day.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh yeah, congrats on the Ariens. I'm restoring / upgrading an old 1965 Ariens. I often suffer from "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" syndrome. ARGH ARGH ARGH. My goal is to throw the snow from the driveway to the edge of our property in certain conditions. That'd be sweet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello. Since we have the same machines, I will be curious if we have similar good results or possible problems and what solutions come from them. I gave mine a good test this week with real wet (9") snow and had no problems at all. I thought the light would be something I didn't need, but the three times I used the snowblower was at night. This last storm we lost power for 24 hours so my snowblower light was the only light on in the neighborhood!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Congrats, excellent choice! You shouldn't have to do many repairs as long you use care when snowblowing. You definitely want to change the oil after the first 2 to 5 hours of use depending on where you look on the manual. Most snowblowers will drain from the rear of the machine, found this video showing how to change the oil but there are other videos out there -
. That'll be the extent of maintenance for the first years. Not sure how your property is laid out, but definitely be careful when approaching stairs, curbs, etc. You may end up busting a shear bolt, not hard to replace but an inconvenience - just remember where you put the spare ones that came with the machine. Remember always think safety and NEVER put your hands/feet near the auger or impeller. In the event you need to clean debris out - shut it off and use the clean out tool. Since I'm not in your area I don't have any recommendations for service centers.

Looks like another storm is headed your way next week...:eek:

Good Luck!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts