Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Dang, I thought you had stole my machine until I saw it was a 928 not a 724! Phew.

I have been impressed with the Honda. Not as grunty an engine as the old Yamaha engine but it throws further and that is useful though not critical for me.

With the battery its a feature for electric start not an annoyance (plug in for cold, ok, but no relief from the pull cord when you stop, a bit of a help but you start stop far more clearing than getting going)

I would be happier with manual chute controls (if they were as good as the Yamaha) but it works well (partly I prefer all that on the left side per the Yamaha).

I never thought there would be a worthy successor to the old Yamaha's, the Honda HSS sure is

Registered
I would be happier with manual chute controls (if they were as good as the Yamaha) but it works well (partly I prefer all that on the left side per the Yamaha).
I have an old HS828 and have had 20+ trouble free years blowing snow with the manual chute controls. Yes, I can see the advantage and convenience of the joystick, however, it looks more complicated to me, and a friend in Canada is stuck because a chute motor died and the replacement cost is high. Honda fixed something that was not broken, made it more complicated and expensive. I do have to add, that I generally do not like taking a bunch of parts off a machine in order to gain access to what needs attention. Digging down to the belts on these machines looks like more needs to be disassembled than the older models.

Registered
a chute motor died and the replacement cost is high.
The HSS chute motors 36110-V45-A03 are about $35 down here...
The older HS chute motors 36110-766-003 are about $175, but the motor can apparently be swapped for less from older Honda Civic car window motors.
Digging down to the belts on these machines looks like more needs to be disassembled than the older models.
Getting to the belts is not much harder... There are 6 bolts on the motor cover and you unplug the LED connector. On my HS80 there were 4 bolts (with spacer washers to keep track of) to remove the belt cover.

Reactions: Michigan_Snow

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How would you recommend repairing said chute motor? What model and serial number is it? Can you elaborate on what you consider 鈥渁 bunch of parts鈥

Thank you!

I have an old HS828 and have had 20+ trouble free years blowing snow with the manual chute controls. Yes, I can see the advantage and convenience of the joystick, however, it looks more complicated to me, and a friend in Canada is stuck because a chute motor died and the replacement cost is high. Honda fixed something that was not broken, made it more complicated and expensive. I do have to add, that I generally do not taking a bunch of parts off a machine in order to gain access to what needs attention. Digging down to the belts on these machines looks like more needs to be disassembled than the older models.

Registered
How would you recommend repairing said chute motor? What model and serial number is it? Can you elaborate on what you consider 鈥渁 bunch of parts鈥

Thank you!
Sorry, I cannot help you, my post was about a friend who simply mentioned his problem in passing. I think @tabora answered your question in post #7. I'm not sure if the motors can be repaired, I think Honda only sells them as a working motor.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I believe Tabora edited his post after I posted mine to reflect the updated information.

I wasn鈥檛 looking for help, you mentioned your friend in Canada has issues and I thought you could of been a little more proactive with information on how to repair it for any viewers and members, since you did mention it in passing. Oh well, cheers!

Sorry, I cannot help you, my post was about a friend who simply mentioned his problem in passing. I think @tabora answered your question in post #7. I'm not sure if the motors can be repaired, I think Honda only sells them as a working motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts