Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up this nice snapper today. Model is 10305E and serial is 85057143. I am wondering what year this machine is? I could not find anything on the parts websites. My dad has a late 80’s 826 which is a beast so I couldn’t pass this up this series 5 1030! The only thing I noticed was that the auger gear box seems to float slightly side to side along the auger shaft, is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
looks like a great machine, do you have the numbers off of the engine itself? There should be a sticker with the part number (HMSK100) followed by type followed by a date code. That should tell when the engine was made.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Welcome to SBF. Remove the electric start push button, underneath will be the model number and serial number. The first number of the serial number indicates the year made. Problem is, early Tecumseh motors only indicate the year, but not the decade. A serial # that starts with a 2 for example, could be a 1992, 2002 or 2012.

Manual-
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/156947/Snapper-1030.html?page=8#manual

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
@Big,

I would check and see if the impeller shaft is bent, or if one of the auger shafts is bent .... not typical for the auger gearbox to be floating side to side in my opinion, but hey, I never had a Snapper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so I must look to see when the motor was made to tell the year of the blower.

Oneacer: I am puzzled as to why the gear box moves slightly side to side. It doesn't move while the auger is running, it makes no weird noises of any kind. Nothing is visibly bent or noticeable when running the auger. You can move it a 1/8" left or right by hand when the machine is not running. I looked up the parts schematic for the gearbox and there is nothing that keeps the gearbox from sliding side to side (i.e.- pins, clips, etc.) just he gears in the case with thrust washers on each side.

·
Registered
834 Posts
does the gearbox move relative to the auger shafts, or do the gearbox and shafts move together left and right. Either way, 1/8" doesn't sound out of ordinary, especially if there are bushings on the ends of the shaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
paulm12- the gearbox moves independently along the auger shaft. All bushing, bearings, etc are tight. Like I said, it does make any noise just seems odd.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like has a slightly bent drive shaft.

As long as its accommodated by the give it may be ok but keep a close eye on it.

Picture of straight into the Chute in regards to the question would be a help to see the exact setup even though then tend to be the same.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Actually, sounds normal to me since it only does this when he pushes on it by hand - not when running. The horizontal shaft through the gearbox that attaches to the augurs is keyed to the driven gear in the gearbox to transfer torque, but basically the gear floats on the shaft, and lube is retained via the seals riding on whatever part of the shaft they contact. This is to prevent side loads on the gears due to bucket flex, bends, etc. and as long as it is not moving around with the augur running, seems normal to me, but could be aggravated by an impeller rear bearing that is allowing the box and impeller shaft to move (as I read your note, the augur proper is staging in place . . .).

·
Registered
407 Posts
The gearbox on my Toro 521 does the same thing and has never been a problem-I wouldn't worry about it.

The best snowblower I've ever used was a late 70's Snapper 826 with the short metal shute and a Briggs engine.I've been trying to get my hands on one for years but they are rare in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yeah, my experience on the Toros is like Mike C says, there is some slack in the side to side mechanism. What tadawson said for the reason makes sense.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
I have two 1030 Snappers and they both do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts